General discussion forum about all things TD Mobile
Igor Ivanovic
Site Admin
Site Admin
Croatia

TDM and third party UI controls

Post by Igor Ivanovic » 25 Oct 2017, 10:23

Hi guys,

For me, one of the major weakness of TDMobile is a limited set of (TDM native) UI controls.
They also look outdated, not modern, are not good looking, flexible controls, etc...
There is an announcement for the TDM 2.2 for "UX Control Enhancements and New attractive default UX design theme for apps" but I can't find any info of what will be in there.
And, in my experience, every new control we get from the dev team is an alpha version, limited functionality, etc...

So, I was looking for some third party UI controls and stumbled upon "Mobiscroll" set of UI controls.
They are not free but also not expensive either, and they have a version for jQuery and jQuery Mobile...

Does any of you guys have any experience with incorporating third party controls or frameworks with TDMobile?
Should I go with this path or wait to see what TDM 2.2 brings to us... ?
The 2.2 roadmap still shows December 2017, but TD7.1 was due September 2017 and has been postponed to January 2018...

Thanks
Igor Ivanovic

a_sivababu
India

Re: TDM and third party UI controls

Post by a_sivababu » 15 Nov 2017, 15:47

Hi Igor,
I have explored both Telerik Kendo UI (https://www.telerik.com/kendo-ui) and DevExtreme JS (https://js.devexpress.com/) and picked up DevExtreme as I felt it is somewhat easy to configure with TDMobile. I just returned json datasource as usual and used it for Grid Control and TreeList control using TD Data binding Javascript.

Regards,
Siva A

Igor Ivanovic
Site Admin
Site Admin
Croatia

Post by Igor Ivanovic » 16 Nov 2017, 11:24

Hi Siva,

Thanks for the info.
DevExtreme somehow slipped from my sight.
I have also evaluated Telerik Kendo UI and found out it's too complicated to integrate it.
Mobiscroll seemed easier.
Will try DevExtreme before making a choice.

Did you use it to render standard UI controls or just Grid and TreeList?

Thx
Igor Ivanovic

a_sivababu
India

Post by a_sivababu » 18 Nov 2017, 04:39

Hi Igor,
I have just started with Grid and TreeList and others are from TDMobile control but I soon start using more from DevExtreme as it has more features and easy to integrate with TDMobile.

yeah. That's right. Kendo UI is somehow not easily understandable and I feel support/Price is higher than DevExtremeJS

I have evaluated MobiScroll but it has limited features for my product.

TDM should have some limitation now too due to design architecture but it will evolve over the period of time and will have more good features. I feel this will soon compete with like OutSystems, Mendix, Appian.

Below is my future plan but fingers crossed

Client ( supporting for Progressive web Apps / Apache Cordova)
Angular (Controls from DevExtreme Angular)
HTML
CSS /Bootstrap
JavaScript
Typescript

Server programming RESTAPI
NodeJs
JavaScript/typescript
Express
Converting TD/TDM Business Logic as a web Service to Consume it in Angular through Nodejs. It should probably work through CORS as TDM web service will run in IIS and NodeJS runs it in it's own architecture.

Database
Posgresql/MongoDB
PG/Mongo Driver
TypeORM/Sequlize for Object Relationship Model

Search Engine
ELK stack ( Elastic / Kibana / Logstash)

Deployment Package
Puppet

Development tools
Visual studio code

SSL
Let's Encrypt / OpenSSL

Debugging tools
Browser Inbuilt Debugging tools from Edge/Safari/Chrome/Firefox

Testing tools
Jasmine
Postman
RestEasy

Tracking website
Google Analytics through TrackJS

Open API Explorer
Swagger API Documentation for Express REST API/TDMobile RESTAPI. 3rd party can consume our published RestAPI web services for generating reports/inbound/outbound/ extended UI interfaces

Cloud Software
OpenStack if I am not going with AWS or Azure or any other Cloud Services.

Thanks
Siva A

Igor Ivanovic
Site Admin
Site Admin
Croatia

Post by Igor Ivanovic » 23 Nov 2017, 08:22

Hi Siva,

Thank for the comprehensive info, wow!
So, if I understood correctly, your plans are to move away from TDM?
Or to use it in a combination with other tools?

My problem is that I don't have a Javascript (or web) programmer so I will have to stick with TDM and try to avoid it's pitfalls :-)

Cheers
Igor Ivanovic

a_sivababu
India

Post by a_sivababu » 23 Nov 2017, 15:16

Hi Igor,
Thanks. that is my future plan and become full stack developer(using javascript in client and server side).

However I am just starting to convert TD application to TDM Mobile application and this will take next 5 years to complete it. If I find any limitation in TDM controls then I will chose from DevExtreme Jquery and integrate it. I am thinking to use the charting from HighCharts as Jqchart has some limitation and not much changes happening now-a-days.

I am sure Gupta will integrate more features in TDM in upcoming years.

Thanks
Siva A

Return to “General Discussion”