TD 7x 64 Bit

Discussion forum about all things Team Developer 7.x
Didiman
Germany

TD 7x 64 Bit

Post by Didiman » 09 Oct 2018, 13:47

Hello there,

i'm just curios if someone managed to migrate a large project to TD 7 64 Bit. Any advises for doing that? What about the mass of old 32 Bit DLL's?

Thanks for your opinion.

--Andreas

EwaldP
Austria

Re: TD 7x 64 Bit

Post by EwaldP » 10 Oct 2018, 06:52

As far as I know, none of the other Gupta developers I personally know have changed their entire application to 64 bit. Even with us that is currently not an issue.
Ewald P. Palmetshofer
EDV-Hausleitner GmbH
4020 Linz
www.edv-hausleitner.at

Igor Ivanovic
Site Admin
Site Admin
Croatia

Post by Igor Ivanovic » 10 Oct 2018, 08:19

I personally didn't do it, but AFAIK, you cannot mix 32-bit with 64-bit.
So, that could be a problem for you.
Igor Ivanovic

EwaldP
Austria

Post by EwaldP » 10 Oct 2018, 08:22

Igor, you are right, you can't mix 32/64bit. I meant that we all have not only one exe.
Ewald P. Palmetshofer
EDV-Hausleitner GmbH
4020 Linz
www.edv-hausleitner.at

Didiman
Germany

Post by Didiman » 10 Oct 2018, 08:39

The different Exe Versions for 32 and 64 Bit are not the real problem. The Problem is to get all the 3rd party DLL's in a 64 Bit Version. And i don't want to think about ActiveX Components etc. So i think, we will wait for another few years to port.

Nils Jänicke
Germany

Post by Nils Jänicke » 15 Oct 2018, 14:49

I did. And I've got less problems that I've guessed.
.Net calls work fine, .net dll's almost are compiled for both bitnesses,
Windows API calls almost are working, some parameter changes must be done. Even if they work with complex buffers where pointers are given to the external function are needing changes. But all Window API calls we needed are working. TAPI was the worst one, but now it works.
Many Active X compontents and COM are working without changes, even Micosoft Office as 64 Bit application has no problems.
For other components maybe you must ask the producer, so List&Labels are available for 32 and 64 Bit but other than Windows API calls and TD dll's the name of the dll files are different, so you need a different declaration. But then it works fine.
Other tools maybe you should look for another solution. So the free xzip Active X component is only available for 32 Bit, so I've written a .net componet wich is using the zipfile class of the .net 4.5 framework.
To manage 32 and 64 Bit I've put all external declarations and all functions that are different into a separate .apl file linked into the application, so all other .apl and .app files can be moved from 32 bit to 64 bit (and if you want also the other direction) if it is saved as text (.apt). And you need different paths for both executables.
So I've working some weeks with 64 bit wnd it works really fine.

Nils

Uwe van der Horst
Site Admin
Site Admin
Germany

Post by Uwe van der Horst » 16 Oct 2018, 20:24

The reason why we are not using 64 Bit is office-automation. We are using an interface to MS Word. Every client computer has a Word-Add-In (dotm-file) into the startup folder that contains a toolbar and macros. The macros are calling a dll that is deployed into our application folder for accessing SQLBase. This is quite simple as long as all clients in the network of the customer are using Word/Office 32 Bit. Supporting a heterogenous network with both Office 32 Bit and Office 64 Bit would significantly increase the effort for development, testing, deployment and support.
Best regards,
Uwe van der Horst
Advo-web GmbH

Return to “General Discussion”