New Newsgroup Structure - Last Call

forum.team.object.manager (2000-2005) & forum.td.tom (2005-2010)
Hernán Canales

Post by Hernán Canales » 08 Feb 2005, 19:48

Posted by:  Hernán Canales (From Chile) 

Hi Suren...

I thinks you have include a connectivity forum in TD topics. I have some experience with DB2/400, Informix, MySql and others....

best regard

Hernán Canales

Martin Knopp

Post by Martin Knopp » 10 Feb 2005, 16:07

Posted by:  Martin Knopp 

Well this might be a too late idea for this relaunch but its not directly related anyway to the restructuring.

Why is GUPTA running its newsgroups (only) on a private newsserver and doesn't make it part of the public usenet like other companies (e.g. Microsoft or Borland) do? This means: Why don't we see this forums under gupta.public.* (like we see microsoft.public.* or borland.public.*) on standard usenet servers?

I have no idea what it takes to get such public newsgroups registered but I thought it might be a good idea - there is one very old relict of a comp.databases.gupta in the public usenet but it has maybe one serious posts in a month or so ;-). But this is not because its on the usenet - its because not all GUPTA newsgroups are on the public usenet.

Of course GUPTA still would need to maintain its own newsserver holding those groups with a retention forever (regular usenet servers only keep postings for a few weeks - sometimes less).

Scott
Australia

Post by Scott » 13 Feb 2005, 22:50

Posted by:  Scott Booth 

But try posting on a "public" newsgroup using your real email and the next day, you'll be amazed at how many horny housewifes need to call you while their husbands are away. Oh, and your bank(s) wants you to confirm your account details and your pharmacist(s) thought he'd drop you a polite reminder (or 500) about refilling that prescription you didn't know you had.

Martin Knopp

Post by Martin Knopp » 14 Feb 2005, 08:24

Posted by:  Martin Knopp 

Well - good point I know what you mean. But still most of us (including yourself) are using some mangling of the email addresses here too. Not sure if this is neccessary and not sure if it would prevent getting SPAM because of email address scanning in a public newsgroup (not sure how good their algorithms are yet in identifying such mangling like "s c o t t @hotmail.com" or "martin.knopp.I_HATE_SPAM@fecher.at"

Scott
Australia

Post by Scott » 14 Feb 2005, 22:55

Posted by:  Scott Booth 

Actually, that is my real address (shocking, I know). Makes is easier for people to reply directly and with this being the only news server I post to using it, it doesn't get any spam (well, if you ignore Metex - which I do).

Still, I suppose I should look on the bright side of unsolicited mail - I just found this sweet deal where I help this disposed African dictator recover his $40 Mill US by giving him access to my bank account and he gives me 10%!!! Plus this other group offered to be my financial advisor and said they could tripple my investment in just 5 days so I'm going to inverst my $4Mil windfall in one of their rock-solid venture capital projects.

LEd

Post by LEd » 17 Feb 2005, 00:40

Posted by:  LEd 

I'd like not mix up the NG with Windows and Linux subjects. Probably it could be a good idea to create a brand new NG for linux.

LEd

T

Post by T » 17 Feb 2005, 10:18

Posted by:  T 

It's in the planning stages.

Karthik

Post by Karthik » 17 Feb 2005, 20:49

Posted by:  Karthik 

From your earlier post, one suspects you are from Gupta.

On checking, your IP address shows you are from Gupta corporation. What
were you testing ? Whether posting would still work with the new
electric bulb just installed in the bathroom? Rainer's infinite patience?

Wonder how many of these "test" posts are from Gupta employees. Atleast
dont give hints to your identity if you want to piss people off. Post
anonymously.

Best Wishes
Karthik ;-)

Return to “td.tom”