TD6.3 app into cloud ?

General discussion forum about all things Team Developer 6.x
JaakkoTerhonen
Finland

TD6.3 app into cloud ?

Post by JaakkoTerhonen » 08 May 2017, 12:05

Hi guys!

A short and simple but big question: how to move a TD app into cloud / change it to a web-app ? We now have a TD6.3 / SP1 app which is built as Win32-application and run via Citrix.

I noticed that Ice Tea Group has some porting tools (PPJ WEB, PPJ Services), does anyone have any experience of them?

Thank you very much in advance,

Jaakko Terhonen

Didiman
Germany

Re: TD6.3 app into cloud ?

Post by Didiman » 10 May 2017, 06:37

AFAIK can you setup Windows Machines at least in AWS, so TD should run there. TD Web allows you to develop Webapps, but porting an existing Win32 App is not very meanfull. You could have a look at the ITG Project, but this is very expensive. For me the smartest way is a refactoring with modern Webtools, like Ruby, PHP etc.

--Andreas

JaakkoTerhonen
Finland

Post by JaakkoTerhonen » 10 May 2017, 10:27

Thank You Andreas! Your answer was helpful even if I'd like to know a little more about why porting an existing application is not meaningful ? What kind of problems will there be ? Not worth trying ?

Using modern web-tools is probably the best solution but I would very much like to continue programming with SAL (which I have used since 1993 ;-). I guess that _is_ possible but requires a little re-thinking / re-designing / re-writing ?

Kind regards,
Jaakko

Didiman
Germany

Post by Didiman » 11 May 2017, 06:36

Hi Jaako,

what i meant was, that you have to re-design your App, regardless which way you're going. For example, you don't have any Windows Api Functions in a Webapp, the GUI has a very different behaviour and so on. So if you have to make a re-design, than imo you can use a "real" Web IDE. Even with TD Mobile, you can only re-use non GUI Functions from your existung code. That's what i'm trying to say. But, it is quite simple to port existing SAL-Code to PHP. I've made this for a bunch of Modules.

Greetz

--Andreas

Return to “General Discussion”