Unable to open .app file

Discussion forum about all things Gupta, OpenText and the community.
Andreasa

Unable to open .app file

Post by Andreasa » 13 Sep 2011, 22:12

I tried opening my file.app file and I get the following error:
http://grab.by/aSVq

It was built with team developer 2.0 and I am trying to migrate it. However, it crashes when I try to open it. I already ran the "Migration Wizard" and it still has the same error.

My thoughts are that when I installed Deploy.exe on my developer machine, this file.app started crashing.
I removed the installation (of the deploy.exe) and it still has the same problems.

Any ideas/suggestions? I can't migrate this app if I can't even open it.

Thanks in advance
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jeff Luther

Re: Unable to open .app file

Post by Jeff Luther » 13 Sep 2011, 22:14

Let me look at this, maybe I'll be successful.

Andreasa

Post by Andreasa » 13 Sep 2011, 22:17

I forgot to attach the source code:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jeff Luther

Post by Jeff Luther » 13 Sep 2011, 22:23

I'm confused. The TXT file appears to be some sort of database file. It is not a CTD file. You can open it with Notepad, for example, and see that it is a text file.

What that TXT file really is, is an XML file. Change the .TXT extension to .XML and you can see it appears to be a log dump of some sort from TD.

Your 2nd attachment, files.zip, has a file Rat32 V6.app. This is a CTD file -- app. version is .28, which was CTD v2.1. I can open it but it uses the old Building Blocks 3rd-party set of routines, so there are many warnings when you try to open it. It's trying to include the BB APL files and they are missing. But, I can open that APP file with TD v4.2 or v5.2 for example, and click OK to ignore the missing APL warning msgs.

Andreasa

Post by Andreasa » 13 Sep 2011, 22:36

Jeff Luther wrote: Rat32 V6.app. This is a CTD file -- app. version is .28, which was CTD v2.1. I can open it but it uses the old Building Blocks 3rd-party set of routines, so there are many warnings when you try to open it.
That's fine. My problem is that I don't even get there. I get that error message before I could even see anything.
I am aware that it uses a lot of APLs files and old libraries, but since I can't even see the source code, there is nothing I can do.

Jeff Luther

Post by Jeff Luther » 13 Sep 2011, 22:44

My problem is that I don't even get there.
For the APP file, I cannot understand why not, Andrea. I r-click on the file, Open with... TD and it starts to read in. What do you mean "can't even get there"?

Andreasa

Post by Andreasa » 13 Sep 2011, 23:19

Jeff Luther wrote:
My problem is that I don't even get there.
For the APP file, I cannot understand why not, Andrea. I r-click on the file, Open with... TD and it starts to read in.
When it starts to read in, crashes. The TD doesn't even load. It almost feels like TD Crashes when it tries to open it.

Jeff Luther

Post by Jeff Luther » 13 Sep 2011, 23:53

Then it sounds like you do not have a valid installation of TD. When in doubt, always come up with a test:
* can you open TD by itself? If so, it can read in newapp.app because that's it's 'new' application when it opens

* save out that file to some name.

* close TD, now try to open that file with TD. Can you?

* I've just attached Rat32 V6-TEST_ONLY_NO_APLs.zip -- it's your file but with no APLs included. Unzip it and see if you can open that file.

Andreasa

Post by Andreasa » 30 Sep 2011, 23:29

Jeff Luther wrote:Then it sounds like you do not have a valid installation of TD. When in doubt, always come up with a test:
* can you open TD by itself? If so, it can read in newapp.app because that's it's 'new' application when it opens

* save out that file to some name.

* close TD, now try to open that file with TD. Can you?

* I've just attached Rat32 V6-TEST_ONLY_NO_APLs.zip -- it's your file but with no APLs included. Unzip it and see if you can open that file.
Thanks! I tried all of above and works.
I opened your RAT32 test version and it works. It really seem to be a problem with one of the APLS and not TD. However, since TD crashes when I try to open the original file, I don't know which libraries suppose to have. Where you able to see the list of libraries that were included? is it possible to get a screenshot of it?

Jeff Luther

Post by Jeff Luther » 01 Oct 2011, 01:09

Where you able to see the list of libraries that were included?
Well, if the source is in text format, then Notepad works.

otherwise, the (sneaky!) way to do it is to move a copy of this file (that includes APLs) to temp folder where TD cannot find the APLs. Now d-click on the file to read it in. Ignore the "Wah! I cannot find <>" warning msgs. from TD and click OK. Eventually, the file's read in (assuming it itself is not corrupted) and while you cannot compile because of the missing APLs, they are still listed top of the outline. I'd suggest then saving out a copy of this file in text format, if you have not already.

Andreasa

Post by Andreasa » 11 Oct 2011, 17:27

Thanks for much!
I opened on notepad and I added 1 library by 1 to see the faulty one.

Jeff Luther

Post by Jeff Luther » 11 Oct 2011, 18:10

You are welcome -- I am glad to hear Notepad worked for you. Glad to help.

Return to “General Discussion”