SQLBase on virtual machines

Discussion forum about all things SqlBase.
EwaldP
Austria

SQLBase on virtual machines

Post by EwaldP » 17 Mar 2014, 16:16

Is there an offical statement from Gupta concerning SQLBase 11.7 and 11.6 on virtual machines (Win2012 on Hyper-V, VMWare)? I didn't found anything on the website.

Thanks.

Ewald
Ewald P. Palmetshofer
EDV-Hausleitner GmbH
4020 Linz
www.edv-hausleitner.at

Clifford Bass

Re: SQLBase on virtual machines

Post by Clifford Bass » 18 Mar 2014, 00:22

Ewald,

While you are waiting for an answer from Gupta... (Mike probably)

We have been running SQLBase in production on a VM (Hyper-V I think) since at least 11.0 without any troubles. I do a lot of testing using Oracle VirtualBox and have not run into any VM-related issues that I can recall.

Clifford Bass

EwaldP
Austria

Post by EwaldP » 18 Mar 2014, 07:42

Hi Clifford,

thanks for your answer. Glad to hear, that you have running SQLBase without problems in a VM environment. Some customers report sometimes troubles with disconnecting from SQLBase (user quits application but is still connected) and crashes without any error code or entry in the fail.sql. Unfortunately, this occurs only sporadic (one week two-three times then several weeks without problems). With two clients we have installed SQLBase then on a stand alone Win7 machine and everything works fine. Therefore my question if there is an offical statement for virtualization from Gupta.

Regards
Ewald
Ewald P. Palmetshofer
EDV-Hausleitner GmbH
4020 Linz
www.edv-hausleitner.at

Mike Vandine

Post by Mike Vandine » 18 Mar 2014, 09:12

Hi Ewald,

Officially: We have had no VM specific problems with SQLBase.

I would highly recommend downloading and installing 11.7 SP2. We've had a couple of crash issues that we have resolved with that release.

If you can come up with a reproducible testcase for your crashes, please let me know. Also, what is your front-end, what is the size of the database and how hard are people hitting that database, i.e how many users are connected (and really working) at any one time?

Best regards,

Mike

RainerE
Germany

Post by RainerE » 18 Mar 2014, 13:46

Ewald Palmetshofer wrote:Some customers report sometimes troubles with disconnecting from SQLBase (user quits application but is still connected)...
We have this problem on a customer side in the opposite way:
- SQLBase 9.0.1 latest PTF is running on a physical Server (2003).
- Our Application is running on physical clients and on virtual Citrix Clients.
At least once a day Citrix removes all running Clients.
In this case, the connection does not disappear from the SQLBase server.

Regards,
Rainer

EwaldP
Austria

Post by EwaldP » 20 Mar 2014, 09:20

Rainer wrote:At least once a day Citrix removes all running Clients.
In this case, the connection does not disappear from the SQLBase server.
Perhaps Citrix removes the connection to all clients but on the terminalserver the session is still open and then it would be ok if the database connection still exists.
Ewald P. Palmetshofer
EDV-Hausleitner GmbH
4020 Linz
www.edv-hausleitner.at

EwaldP
Austria

Post by EwaldP » 20 Mar 2014, 09:35

Hi Mike,

thanks for your answer. Unfortunately the problem is not reproducable. Frontend is a TD-application from us (6.1 SP3). The size of the database varies from customer to customer. The largest .dbs-file I've seen has about 12 GB. For most customers, the DB has a size of about 1 to 3 GB. Count of users also varies from customer to customer. From 5 up to 25, 30 user (and they work ;-) ).

One more question to SQLBase 11. Is there a different algorithmus to encounter the maximum number of users? Since we have upgraded from TD 1.5.1 to TD 6.1 (and from SQLBase 8.1 to 11.6) it seems, that the error code "maximum numbers of clients exceeded" comes earlier.

Best regards
Ewald
Ewald P. Palmetshofer
EDV-Hausleitner GmbH
4020 Linz
www.edv-hausleitner.at

Mike Vandine

Post by Mike Vandine » 21 Mar 2014, 01:14

Hi Ewald,

Thanks for the update. If you are still having crashes after installing SP2, please contact me privately and reference this thread. mike.vandine@guptatechnologies.com

Regarding the algorithms for users. That hasn't changed as far as I know. Are you using anything other than TD to connect, i.e. Visual Basic, Access, Excel? If you can reproduce *that* I would be interested.

Best regards,

EwaldP
Austria

Post by EwaldP » 28 May 2014, 14:52

Hi Mike,

me again. We have again problems with one of our customer. We updated this customer from our TD application written in 1.5.1 to our TD appliction 6.1 SP3 a few weeks ago. As part of this installation he gets new hardware and a new server. We installed SQLBase 11.6.2 -9337. Server is Win2012 R2 in a virtual environment. After 3-4 days without problems the SQLBase service is closed. Restart the service and everything we'll work fine for a couple of days.

concurrent users from our TD application (isolation level = RL) ~ 15-20 user.
concurrent users from an external VB application for worktime recording ~5 user via ODBC

Here my questions?
1. Is it possible that the ODBC-terminals cause the problems? Unfortunately is it not possible to shut them down in this production environment? Could be a netlog file part of the solution?

2. Neither SQLBase 11.6.2 nor 11.7 are listed for MS Server Win2012 R2 in your compatibilty matrix. Could R2 be the problem? In two other customers, we were able to reduce similar problems by installing SLBase on Win7 machines.

3. Is an update to 11.7 the solution? I don't want to force the customer to buy the 11.7 update and then the problems will still exist.

Thanks for your help

Ewald
Ewald P. Palmetshofer
EDV-Hausleitner GmbH
4020 Linz
www.edv-hausleitner.at

Mike Vandine

Post by Mike Vandine » 11 Jun 2014, 03:55

Hi Ewald,

Sorry for the late reply.

Is there any fail.sql file when the server shuts down? That could give us a big clue as to what is happening.

There really shouldn't be a problem using R2.

Without knowing more, it's not going to be easy to recommend going to 11.7 and know that the problem doesn't still exist. Version 9337 is the latest that I have of the dbntsrv.exe.

If you are not using RC isolation level, do you have a 'readonly=0' statement in your server's sql.ini file? That would turn off the global history file and could help. Perhaps you could publish your server's sql.ini file (without IP addresses/passwords, etc.).

We may need to start up a netlog to see what is really going on.

Best regards,

tfahey
United States of America

Post by tfahey » 20 Jun 2014, 22:28

Just a quick note on Virtual Servers / Citrix users etc. We have seen all kinds of client environments and server environments and have had no problems - but you must set "clientcheck=1" in your sql.in file. I learned this years ago from an SqlBase author. Three years ago I asked the SqlBase design team if its was still a relevant setting and they checked the 11.5 code. The setting is still important, without it you will see disconnected sessions 'adopted' by the server - like lost children. If you try to kill them the server will crash. if you let them go the server will slow down.

Tom

EwaldP
Austria

Post by EwaldP » 30 Jun 2014, 07:30

Thanks Tom, I will try it but I suppose this will bring less performance. I will have an eye on that.
Ewald P. Palmetshofer
EDV-Hausleitner GmbH
4020 Linz
www.edv-hausleitner.at

EwaldP
Austria

Post by EwaldP » 30 Jun 2014, 07:50

Hi MIke,

sorry for my late reply. In the meantime, I had a problem with a database of another customer. More on that later.

To your questions:
1. ) Yes fail.sql is available. Error 702
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
11.6.2 -- 2014-06-27-12.19.40.583000
00702 Fatal SQLBase System Failure (VIO PNO)
Reason: This is a Fatal Error.
Remedy: Stop all database operations and run a CHECK DATABASE operation.
If a FAIL.SQL file is available, then save it. Attempt to
reproduce the problem via a SQL script, scenario, or using the
NETLOG utility (see the DBA Guide for how to produce a NETLOG).
Contact your local Unify certified technical support center.

2.) SQL.INI
[dbntsrv]
dbname=ISLAND
dbname=SBTASK
ANSIJoinSyntax=1
centurydefaultmode=1
servername=Server1
autolocktable=0
batchpriority=0
cache=512000
dbdir=D:\Gupta
tempdir=D:\Gupta
Readonly=0

; The default value for readonly is 1, which allows use of "read only" and
; "read committed" (RO and RC) isolation levels. Uncommenting "readonly=0"
; will disallow use of RO and RC isolation levels.
;readonly=0

; To get process logging, specify a log file and display level.
;log=c:\dbsrv.log
;displevel=4
DBNAME=IADB,SQLWS32
DBNAME=WAWI,SQLWS32

There was no crash for 10 days but last Friday the problem occurred again. This week I will start a netlog. It would be great if I could send them to you to get out what the the problem is.

Makes the suggestion from Tom the database slow or is it useful to set the clientcheck=1.

Thanks a lot

Ewald
Ewald P. Palmetshofer
EDV-Hausleitner GmbH
4020 Linz
www.edv-hausleitner.at

Mike Vandine

Post by Mike Vandine » 30 Jun 2014, 08:06

Hi Ewald,

What is the build of SB11.6.2. I think that there were some corrected issues with 7.02 errors. I might be able to get you a newer version of the dbntsrv to try.

If the server ran for 10 days and then had a crash, a netlog would be HUGE. Do you have instructions that I have sent you on the latest way to create a netlog? Perhaps you can contact me directly via email: mike.vandine@guptatechnologies.com

One somewhat major change to your sql.ini file:

cache=512000 <-- Change to 256000

I have not used clientcheck=1 for absolutely ages. I think that this is now a standard with versions since 9.0.

Best regards,

transoung

Post by transoung » 30 Sep 2015, 12:21

Hi,

Does anyone already install SQLBase for windows 7.6.1 PTF4 on VMWARE ?
I have performance issue between VMWARE environment and classical environment. Almost 3 or 4 times slower with VMWARE.
Is there any recommendation about installation of SQLBase for windows 7.6.1 PTF4 on VMWARE ?

Thank you

Best regards

Return to “General Discussion”