DBPipe on SqlConnectDotNet()

Discussion forum about all things SqlBase.
a_sivababu
India

DBPipe on SqlConnectDotNet()

Post by a_sivababu » 29 Apr 2016, 04:21

Hi All,

Based on my analysis, it seems DBPipe works with SqlConnect() and not with SqlConnectDotNet(). Is this Right? if so, Can DBPipe supports in SqlConnectDotNet() in future?

Thanks!
Siva A

Jean-Marc Gemperle

Re: DBPipe on SqlConnectDotNet()

Post by Jean-Marc Gemperle » 13 Jun 2016, 09:29

a_sivababu wrote:Hi All,

Based on my analysis, it seems DBPipe works with SqlConnect() and not with SqlConnectDotNet(). Is this Right? if so, Can DBPipe supports in SqlConnectDotNet() in future?

Thanks!
Siva A

Hi Siva,

Yes you are correct for a TD .NET APP to use DBPIPE you will need to use SqlConnect() and configure properly the exe.config for the binding you wish to use and endpoint and specify you want to connect via DBPIPE (UseRemoteConnections" value="true")
It is expected that with SqlConnectDotNet() you cannot reach DBPIPE because you do specify a .NET provider to connect too in the connection string and there is no option for specifying DBPIPE as a provided THOUGH Gupta.TD.Runtime.Wcf.Provider.dll ACTS as a .NET provider. Other than making things more confusing due to multiple way to connect I don't see a problem with this.
Please state from you own word why you like to see this working with SqlConnectDotNet() in future version.

NOTE that for win32 type application you cannot use SqlConnect() but do need to use
SqlConnectDbPipe (hSql, sConnectionString, nProviderType)
nProviderType
0 for ORACLE
1 for SQLSERVER

Attached snapshot of my test
First connection to SQLSERVER using SqlConnectDotNet will not use DBPIPE DESKTOP server even though the .config is properly configured, for the second connection using SqlConnect() DBPIPE DESKTOP will show the incoming connection.

Cheers
JM

Mike Vandine

Post by Mike Vandine » 15 Jun 2016, 03:03

Thanks for jumping in Jean-Marc!

a_sivababu
India

Post by a_sivababu » 15 Jun 2016, 14:08

Thanks a lot JM for your response.

My simple doubt is that, DBPIPE does not require Client DB connectivity/Driver if we use RemoteDBconnection=True (no Client db connectivity installation) but Hope SqlConnectDotNet() requires Client DB library to be installed in Client. Is my assumption right?

that is, DBPIPE uses WCF web services to fetch the data from DB server and populate it in client but SqlConnectDotNet() connects through Client DB library to connect and fetch the data.

Please correct me If my understanding is wrong.

Thanks!
Siva A

Return to “General Discussion”