Blank SQL Talk tab in Database Explorer

Discussion forum about all things SqlBase or SqlTalk
TerryP
Australia

Blank SQL Talk tab in Database Explorer

Post by TerryP » 18 Mar 2012, 04:51

Hi All,

After installing TD 6.1 without installing SQL Base, I've found that the SQL Talk pane in the Database Explorer shows up as blank (except for the header). Looking in the Team Developer 6.1 folder, it appears that no SQL Talk executable file or its supporting DLL's have been installed.
TD 6.1 Databse Explorer Blank SQL Talk Tab.jpg
Despite not installing SQL Base, there is a SQLBase sub-folder that includes SQL Talk (but not DBNTSRV.exe), but this doesn't appear to be enough for the Database Explorer. Copying the relevant SQL Talk files from the SQLBase sub-folder to the parent Team Developer 6.1 folder fixes the problem.

A similar issue is that the default SQL Talk entry on the User Tools menu also points to the Team Developer 6.1 folder for SQL Talk, rather than to the SQLBase sub-folder. Of course, copying the SQL Talk files to the parent folder also fixes this problem (or you can change the User Tools properties to use the one in the sub-folder!)

I would expect that the SQL Talk tab should work on the Database Explorer even if SQL Base hasn't been installed. If so, perhaps SQL Talk should be installed into the Team Developer 6.1 folder, rather than into the SQLBase sub-folder.

BTW, I'm still hoping/waiting for the newer version of SQL Talk, currently only available inside the SQL Base Command Center, to be used for the standlone SQL Talk utility (and hence inside the database explorer). It supports color-coded SQL syntax, and grid/table output and execution plan. (I've previously raised this with Mike V as a suggested SQL Base enhancement, but I can't find it now in the SQL Base forums, it must have been in a private message.)

Cheers,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Terry Phythian
Reprise Consulting

TerryP
Australia

Re: Blank SQL Talk tab in Database Explorer

Post by TerryP » 07 Apr 2012, 00:05

Bump!

Anyone else noticed this issue with the database explorer, or am I the only one that installed TD 6.1 without installing SQL Base as well? :wink:

Cheers,
Last edited by Anonymous on 03 May 2012, 22:33, edited 1 time in total.
Terry Phythian
Reprise Consulting

TerryP
Australia

Post by TerryP » 03 May 2012, 22:32

Any feedback/comments on this installation issue?

Cheers,
Terry Phythian
Reprise Consulting

Jeff Luther

Post by Jeff Luther » 04 May 2012, 00:56

I'm asking internally about this...

Jeff Luther

Post by Jeff Luther » 15 May 2012, 16:54

Hi: I did get some email notes back from our QA/BUILD engineer about this 'blank' issue with DB Explorer. Here is what he wrote:
Please check if there exists local sqltalk in the TD install directory. If sqltalk and its dependencies doesn’t exists in the install directory then it will not show in DBExplorer.
and in a follow-on message after I had asked about no SQLBase installed:
That SQLBase subfolder is needed by default and that contains only client related files (no server). That is needed because for .NET we are replying on those files for connectivity.

And during installation we need to select SQLBaseServerandTools  SQLTalkInteractive SQL to install SQLTalk into TD install directory. If that is deselected then you will not get those files into TD install directory.

TerryP
Australia

Post by TerryP » 15 May 2012, 23:15

Thanks for following this up Jeff,

Yes, that's the problem: The TD installation assumes that the SQLTalk files are stored in the TD installation folder, but unless the SQL Base server/SQL Talk options are selected, these files are ONLY stored in the subordinate sqlbase folder! Regardless of whether or not SQL Base/Talk are installed, the Database Explorer and the SQL Talk user tool entry are installed expecting SQL Talk to be in the TD installation folder, not the sqlbase sub-folder.

If the SQL Base tools are not installed, then perhaps the Database Explorer and the SQL Talk user tool entry should either not be installed, or adjusted to use the SQL Talk files which ARE automatically installed the sqlbase sub-folder, even though SQL Base/Talk option wasn't selected. (Perhaps performing a test re-installation of TD without installing SQL Base/Talk would make this clear.) If the installation of SQL Talk is required for these TD tools to work, then maybe it shouldn't be optional in the installation process.

This scenario isn't necessarily a rare occurrence. Developers who have standalone SQL Base installs, or (like me) use SQL Base installed with an earlier version of TD, may not want another SQL Base server installed. Perhaps the installation process could identify (or ask the user for) an existing SQL Talk, e.g. from a standalone SQL Base installation, and adjust the Database Explorer and SQL Talk user tool entry to use it instead?

Cheers,
Terry Phythian
Reprise Consulting

Return to “SqlBase General Discussion”