SQLBase downloads

Discussion forum about all things SqlBase or SqlTalk
kamil.wieszczycki
Poland

SQLBase downloads

Post by kamil.wieszczycki » 28 Mar 2022, 11:29

My customer uses SQLBase 9.0.1 and SQLBase 11.0.0, where can I get these for testing?

EwaldP
Austria

Re: SQLBase downloads

Post by EwaldP » 28 Mar 2022, 16:46

Hi,
if you have a GLS support contract you can download these versions from opentext-support site.
Ewald P. Palmetshofer
EDV-Hausleitner GmbH
4020 Linz
www.edv-hausleitner.at

kamil.wieszczycki
Poland

Post by kamil.wieszczycki » 28 Mar 2022, 18:23

I don't have a support contract and I am not familiar with SQLBase or SQLBase licensing. I am developing software that will use those databases and I need to setup an instance of each for integration testing. I won't get it from my customer. Is obtaining a support contract the only way to get those databases for development and testing?

Steve Leighton
Site Admin
Site Admin
New Zealand

Post by Steve Leighton » 29 Mar 2022, 04:09

'
A 'free' 50 user version comes with each TeamDeveloper install.
But you have to select to install it at the same time as TD .
e.g. TD7.3 comes with SB12.2 , TD7.1 comes with SB 12.1 etc .
SB 9 and 11 are waaaaay out of support - not sure where you'd get an installer for those without a license, unless you can install another instance of ( guessing ) TD3.0. Or travel back in time to 1998.
If you install another instance of say TD7.3, your SB11 will 'easily' upgrade to the new SB12.2 version - but you need to know how to UNLOAD the dB from one and LOAD the dB into the other.
Go here for all the SB manuals you'll ever need: https://samples.tdcommunity.net/index.p ... ase_Books/
Greetings from New Zealand
Steve Leighton

Bankside Systems Ltd.
UK ♦ Australia ♦ New Zealand

www.banksidesystems.co.uk

RainerE
Germany

Post by RainerE » 29 Mar 2022, 11:25

Note that installing those old SQLBase versions may require some special procedures.
I cannot say anything about installing SQLBase with the Team Developer Installer.

But I can say the following about installing SQLBase 9.0.1 with the separate installer on newer Windows systems as the installer original was designed for (tested up to Windows 7 and Windows Server 2012 R2):
* You must start the installer via 'Run as administrator'.

If you want to install PTF2 for SQLBase 9.0.1, too, this workaround may help (PTF = Program temporary fix = Service Pack):
If the error '1628: Failed to complete installation' is displayed, repeat the installlation as follows:
1. In the task manager, terminate all processes with the name 'IDriver * .exe'
2. In the directory ‚C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\10\Intel 32‘ in the properties of the two programs IDriver.exe and IDriver2.exe on the ‘Compatibilty’ tab activate the following:
- ‚Run Program in Compatibility Mode for: Windows Server 2003 (SP1)‘
- ‚Run Program as Administrator ‘
3. Start the setup.exe again via ‚Run as administrator‘.

Regards,
Rainer

kamil.wieszczycki
Poland

Post by kamil.wieszczycki » 06 Apr 2022, 14:27

Thank you for your comments, I contacted sales and they suggested buying SQLBase Desktop. I am not sure what is the difference between SQLBase Desktop and SQLBase Server. Is it actually the same database? Do they use the same ODBC/JDBC drivers? Software written for the former is going to work with the latter?

Steve Leighton
Site Admin
Site Admin
New Zealand

Post by Steve Leighton » 06 Apr 2022, 22:51

Unaware of any difference other than number of active users that can connect ( I think desktop = 1 user , although I can connect 5 ). And price.
I use both types - and not come across any operational difference *.
Also Desktop installs locally and is a console activity - so you can easily see what's going on ( even better if you install SQL Command Centre at the same time ).
*Can't comment on ODBC/JDBC drivers between types - have always connected natively with SB driver via TeamDeveloper. I doubt there would be any difference ODBC/JDBC wise between types. .
99.99% sure the engine is the same. SQLTalk is the same and SQL Command Centre is the same.
Greetings from New Zealand
Steve Leighton

Bankside Systems Ltd.
UK ♦ Australia ♦ New Zealand

www.banksidesystems.co.uk

Return to “SqlBase General Discussion”