Connect TD2.1 to Oracle 11g

General discussion forum about all databases other than SqlBase.
hemmeter

Connect TD2.1 to Oracle 11g

Post by hemmeter » 04 Mar 2011, 20:55

Hello,

to provide an interface between an SQLBase 11.5 and Oracle 11g, I have to connect to both databases with an TD2.1 application.
At first, we couldn't connect to Oracle at all as the database stated our password was not correct (but it was).
So we thought the new security features of Oracle 11 make it impossible to connect with the old sqlora32.dll .
But now we discoverd the connection goes well as long as there are no digits (0-9) in the password.

Unfortunately, password regulations say in a production environment there has at least to be one digit in the password. So again we can't connect.

Does anyone have a clue how the connect could be done?
To use a newer sqlora32.dll seems to be no option, as an "incorrect version of library" error occurs.

Best regards,

H. Hemmeter

Jeff Luther

Re: Connect TD2.1 to Oracle 11g

Post by Jeff Luther » 04 Mar 2011, 21:09

Tough one... What's the version of the Oracle client on your TD machine? FYI, here's a matrix showing what CTD v2.1 supported:
http://www.guptatechnologies.com/Produc ... atrix.aspx

That might help or be part of the issue.

Here's an idea from out in 'left field'... You wrote:
password regulations say in a production environment there has at least to be one digit in the password
What if a user's p/w was supposed to be: foo1bar2

But your TD code internally substituted number for word before the SqlConnect, like this: fooonebartwo
(or using underscores to show better: foo_one_bar_two )

Question is, where do the "regulations" say the the digit has to be? On the client side at type-in/entry time or actually contained in the p/w value that's submitted to the DB?

hemmeter

Post by hemmeter » 04 Mar 2011, 21:58

Jeff Luther wrote:Tough one... What's the version of the Oracle client on your TD machine?
It is the "right" client for the database, the Oracle 11gR2 client. It works perfectly with Oracle SQLDeveloper.
Jeff Luther wrote:FYI, here's a matrix showing what CTD v2.1 supported:
http://www.guptatechnologies.com/Produc ... atrix.aspx
I know this matrix. But I have no choice which Oracle version will be used. I have to fetch data from there so I have to use the interface that is provided "as is".
Jeff Luther wrote:where do the "regulations" say the the digit has to be? On the client side at type-in/entry time or actually contained in the p/w value that's submitted to the DB?
We will have an interface-user assigned to us, including a fixed password. The rules are enforced within the source database.
As passwords are case-sensitive, I thought I need something like "lowercase-digits". But all my experiments failed.
So my only hope is that someone else succeeded, maybe with brackets, delimiters, or whatever.

I also tried to log the data transmitted via the gateway, but putting a "log=..." line in the SQL.INI stops the gateway from working at all and makes it reporting "TNS-name could not be resolved". Removing the entry from SQL.INI then brings back the problem with the password (or a successful connection if there are no digits in the password).

Best regards,
H. Hemmeter

Jeff Luther

Post by Jeff Luther » 09 Mar 2011, 00:09

Upgrade to TD v5.2 where those DB versions and Oracle client version are supported?

hemmeter

Post by hemmeter » 09 Mar 2011, 21:42

Jeff Luther wrote:Upgrade to TD v5.2 where those DB versions and Oracle client version are supported?
In fact I tried TD v6, which was bought to increase the number of development licenses.

As the whole TD environment crashes immediately when SqlConnect is called (or connecting via sqltalk or database explorer or whatever Unify software is trying to connect to Oracle) without any message, I will get neither development time nor budget to do any further experiments.
The whole application will remain on TD 2.1 until it reaches the end of its life cycle.

Best regards,
H. Hemmeter

Jeff Luther

Post by Jeff Luther » 09 Mar 2011, 23:07

I'll take this offline with you. I think this is best.

Return to “General Discussion”