Encrypted password with Sybase connection

General discussion forum about all databases other than SqlBase.
mabdelkhalek

Encrypted password with Sybase connection

Post by mabdelkhalek » 30 Mar 2011, 09:10

We are using Gupta 4.2 connecting to database Sybase.
From Sybase side we have server configuration parameter "net password encryption reqd" used to make the server accepts only the login password as encrypted.
We need make this feature works with our Gupta application.
We connect to database native using sql.ini file.
Kindly send us the steps to pass this parameter from Gupta application in the connection string, or in the sql.ini file …

Following is an example of how you can specify the use of an encrypted password in the odbc.ini file as from Sybase manuals(the required parameter is the last one):
[sampledsn]
Description=Sybase ODBC Data Source
UserID=abc
Password=xyz
Driver=Adaptive Server Enterprise
Server=sampleserver
Port=4100
Database=pubs2
UseCursor=1
EncryptPassword=1
----------------------

mabdelkhalek

Re: Encrypted password with Sybase connection

Post by mabdelkhalek » 11 Apr 2011, 10:09

Dear support team,
I need reply even this required security option is not supported.

Jeff Luther

Post by Jeff Luther » 11 Apr 2011, 20:07

That Sybase feature is not supported in TD. My suggestion is that you contact Sybase to find how how and/or what they recommend for a client-side application to be able to support this. A DLL interface? COM/AX? I don't know.

If it is as simple, as:
Set SqlPassword = <some encrypted password>
If NOT SqlConnect( hSql )

and Sybase can intercept that SqlPassword value passed by the router and handle it correctly, then it seems all you would need would be a DLL or other way to get the plaintext password encrypted before the SqlConnect call according to what Sybase expects.

But your first quest should be finding other applications that support this in Sybase -- maybe they even have some sample code -- to see how those apps. accomplish this.

P.S. I just reread your original msg., so the first thing that looks like you need to so is be able to connect to Sybase via ODBC. Unify has a native router for Sybase, and that won't work for you. Beyond this, one possible way to investigate is as I wrote above.

mabdelkhalek

Post by mabdelkhalek » 13 Apr 2011, 09:47

My recommendation is to define new global variable like "SqlUser" and "SqlPassword" with "SqlEncrypt"
And make the applications pass this variable (with default value 0) to the connection string when call SqlConnect.
Finally consider the issue is closed, but just inform me if you have plan to add this in the latest TD versions.
Thanks for support.

Jeff Luther

Post by Jeff Luther » 13 Apr 2011, 22:58

My recommendation is to define new global variable like "SqlUser" and "SqlPassword" with "SqlEncrypt"
And make the applications pass this variable (with default value 0) to the connection string when call SqlConnect.
No, there would be no plan (an "Enhancement") to add a TD SqlXXX var. to SqlConnect().

To get that Sybase p/w encryption functionality would have to be done via a DLL or COM/AX, or... ? as I suggested. You'll need to investigate how its done for other client-side apps.

Return to “General Discussion”