Backspace and cursor keys are "eaten" by the webbrowser

Report bugs and possible workarounds for ANSI TD versions
Samy
Germany

Backspace and cursor keys are "eaten" by the webbrowser

Post by Samy » 04 Apr 2014, 09:25

Hello,

when using the Microsoft Web Browser ActiveX control in a Gupta Form special keys (backspace, cursors a. s. o) will not be processed after returning to a Gupta control in the same form.

You can reproduce this with Dave Rabelink's GoogleMaps JScript API sample (https://wiki.tdcommunity.net/index.php/ ... _Maps_demo) See also his comment on this problem at the bottom of the thread on his sample, where he explains, what he has already found out on this problem.

I use the Microsoft Web Browser ActiveX control to place an html editor into our app. When the ie ActvieX control gets the focus and thereafter you click into a textfield, then the backspace key does not work anymore. Unfortunately, I cannot use the build-in Web-Browser Control of TD, because it is not completely compatible and I also want to use JavaScript, so I am dependent on the Microsoft Web Browser ActiveX control. The Problem described does not depend on the content you show in the browser; I tried it not only with my html editor but also with google.de and Dave's sample.

It would be expected, that the Gupta windows process the keystrokes after re-gaining the focus.

This problem occurs on all Gupta Versions from 3.x to 6.x.

Regrads
Samy

Samy
Germany

Re: Backspace and cursor keys are "eaten" by the webbrowser

Post by Samy » 03 Jun 2015, 14:11

Hello,

I am still looking for an answer on this topic. Does anyone have an idea?

LG Samy

Jeff Luther
Site Admin
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by Jeff Luther » 03 Jun 2015, 23:43

Well, I'll take a chance, Samy and ask: What answer are you looking for? You mention that some code of Dave R's can repro. this and that he's explained something about this. What else are you looking for here? A workaround? A reply from Gupta that they've entered this in as a bug?

What I'd be looking for is a test case from you showing this issue that you can zip and attach here. I'd suggest a TD v5.2 or maybe v4.2 test case & be sure to include any APL(s) that are non-Gupta and are required. Last, perhaps a short bullet list of what to do to repro. this issue and what we're looking for (if it's something other than something like "Click on the end of the field with text and click the backspace key") to show what backspace + other keys are apparently still being 'filtered' or 'routed' to the AX browser control.

Be aware that if your test in v5.2 or earlier can repro. this issue it would only be entered to be fixed in the TD versions currently supported by Gupta. And this open forum area, for TD v5.2 and earlier, are too old and are no longer supported for bug fixes. Thus, if you want to get it in the Gupta bug database you'll need to provide a TD v6.x version in the closed v6.x forum area.
Jeff Luther @ PC Design
Palm Springs, California

Samy
Germany

Post by Samy » 08 Jun 2015, 09:17

Hello,

and thank you for giving a reply.
The problem can be reproduced with TD 3 as well as TD 6.x.
It is not specific to the sample program of Dave. I mentioned Dave's sample for you to have a test case at hand. But, as you asked for a separate test case, I just created one for you.
The zip file attached, includes IETest60.apl and its included files as well as IETest60_merged.apl which is a merged version of that program (the includes are merged right into the file for ease of compilation).
The test case has a datafield on top, where you can type in a URL (which is pre filled with www.google.de) and a GO button, which fills the IE activeX below.
As Long as you don't press the GO button, the URL data field is completely editable (including possibility to use the backspace button).
But as you fill the IE activeX control (by pressing the GO button), all special keystrokes (including backspace) is routed to the IE control - even when the data field has the focus.
So, now you have a clear test case, with which you can easily reproduce the Problem.
I hope that you can give me a solution on how to tell the activeX control, not to catch the keystrokes anymore when it looses the focus.

If it turns out, that there is no possibility to solve that problem, it would be nice, if the build in html control of TD (QuickHtml) would give me the possibility to call JavaScript functions and to set and retrieve values of the html elements, because the lack of these two features in the TD HTML control was the original reason, why I went the way to include an IE activeX.

Regards
Samy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jeff Luther
Site Admin
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by Jeff Luther » 09 Jun 2015, 01:09

Well, I tried a couple things and this is what I get:
* I don't have TD v6.0 installed, but with v6.1 I get an inconsistent 'freeze' of the backspace key:
- First time I run the test and click the 'Go' button, then click end of the field's URL, I can backspace OK.
- Second time I do this the backspace key does nothing, as you report.

* I added a SalSetFocus( dfsURL ) after the button's "Call axIE.OpenUrl(dfsURL)" and now I can click end of the field and backspace OK multiple times.

* I also backported the test to v5.2 and as is I cannot repro. the 'freeze' backspace key at all. I cannot backport earlier than this because there's no Receive Binary in v4.2 or earlier. I've attached my v5.2 test.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jeff Luther @ PC Design
Palm Springs, California

Samy
Germany

Post by Samy » 16 Jun 2015, 17:24

Thanks for trying it, but I cannot reproduce your solution. Backspace and arrow keys still do not work after filling the IE actvieX with an URL (e. g. Google.de).
My testcase is an excerpt of a pease of code that I use in CTD 3.0 and 6.0 alike. Both have the same Problem.
I do not have any 5.x Versions anymore, but I tried it in 6.1 as well; and there the same problem arises - even after forcing the Focus to go to the data field as you have explained.

Please, try again more carefully.

LG Samy

Return to “Bug Reports (TD 4.2 and older)”