SQLBase 11.5.x ODBC Update Problem

Report SqlBase bugs and possible workarounds.
Clifford Bass

SQLBase 11.5.x ODBC Update Problem

Post by Clifford Bass » 18 Jun 2010, 00:23

Hi,

Using SQLBase 11.5.x, SP3, on a fully patched Windows XP machine. Using fully patched Access 2007.

Some tables, when linked into an Access database will not update the data, but instead state that the record was changed by someone else.

Steps to replicate:
1) Make sure you have an ODBC entry for the Island database.
2) Create a new Access database.
3) Create a link to the SYSADM.COMPANY table.
Access 2003: Go to the tables section in the Objects pane on the left of the database window, click on the New icon at the top of the window, choose Link Table, click OK, change Files of type: to ODBC Databases(), choose Island data source, log in, choose SYSADM.COMPANY, click OK.
Access 2007: Close the "new" table if Access presents one to you, go to the External Data ribbon, click on More in the Import section, choose ODBC Database, choose Link..., OK button, choose the Island data source, login, choose SYSADM.COMPANY, click OK.
4) Double-click on the newly added table.
5) Edit the name of the first company.
6) Click in the next row to get it to save the changes to the first row.

Here is what I see:

The record modified:
1 - Update a Row in Company Table.jpg
After moving to next record:
2 - Write Conflict.jpg
The record after clicking on a button in prior dialog:
3 - Row Shows #Deleted.jpg
If I shift over to SQLBase 11.0.2 it works fine.

Clifford Bass
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mike Vandine

Re: SQLBase 11.5.x ODBC Update Problem

Post by Mike Vandine » 18 Jun 2010, 02:20

Hi Cliff,

Yes, I can reproduce this as well.

A funny thing. If you add a new row in Access, you can then change it even after you get out and get back in.

I will create a defect for this behaviour.

Best regards,

Mike

Clifford Bass

Re: SQLBase 11.5.x ODBC Update Problem

Post by Clifford Bass » 18 Jun 2010, 05:35

Hi Mike,

Thanks for checking into that. Always appreciate your efforts and responses.

I wonder if there is some subtle difference between the rows added through SQLTalk and those added through Access. Maybe something to do with conversions back and forth between UNICODE and ASCII.

Clifford

Mike Vandine

Re: SQLBase 11.5.x ODBC Update Problem

Post by Mike Vandine » 18 Jun 2010, 07:27

If I add a row using SQLTalk, I can modify that one using Access. Bizarre!

Clifford Bass

Re: SQLBase 11.5.x ODBC Update Problem

Post by Clifford Bass » 18 Jun 2010, 17:04

Hi Mike,

And here is another variation. If I add a row in Access, using the 11.0.2 client, then switching to the 11.5 client, it does not allow me to modify it. Both of these into a 11.5 server. So the difference may be in how the 11.0 and 11.5 clients pass the data to the server.

Clifford

Mike Vandine

Re: SQLBase 11.5.x ODBC Update Problem

Post by Mike Vandine » 24 Jun 2010, 05:31

Hi Cliff,

I've created defect SQLB-1362 for this issue.

Cheers!

Mike

Clifford Bass

Re: SQLBase 11.5.x ODBC Update Problem

Post by Clifford Bass » 24 Jun 2010, 17:05

Hi Mike,

Thanks.

Clifford

Return to “SqlBase Bug Reports”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: [Ccbot] and 0 guests