Oracle 10g Long String Issue in Multiline Text / Long String

Post found bugs and possible workarounds.
Sunil

Post by Sunil » 29 Oct 2008, 09:40

Hi Unify.

What should I do now. I am using TD51 Sp4 , purchased last Year and till date not a single application has been developed due to many issues pending with Unify. Most important issue is 'Data Lost when Save Data from MultiLine Text or Long String' (data available before save ) lost after SqlPrepareAndExecute, SqlImmediate.
, but Unify wants repro case but i am not able to create. Please think if customer is not able to create repro case that means problems is not in TD. I have application and data , sended to JM also.

Can ANyone help me to overcome from this issue.

Sunil
Last edited by Sunil on 30 Oct 2008, 05:13, edited 1 time in total.

Jeff Luther

Post by Jeff Luther » 29 Oct 2008, 13:24

I don't see enough information to fully help, Sunil. For example:
What should I do now. I am using TD51 Sp4 , purchased last Year and till date not a single application has been developed due to many issues pending with Unify.
JEFF: What are these "many issues" ??
Most important issue is 'Data Lost when Save Data from MultiLine Text or Long String' (data available before save ) lost after SqlPrepareAndExecute, SqlImmediate.
JEFF: A simple test case showing what you are coding would help with this "Data Lost " issue -- what do you mean 'lost'? The data isn't in the variable in the first place? (Do you check this before the insert?) It never makes it to the database? You don't have a commit and the data is gone? The variable holding the data isn't correctly formatted as a bind in your insert statement? What's the insert statement look like?
but Unify wants repro case but i am not able to create.
JEFF: why not? What's the problem? Why can't you repro. with a test case that includes:
-- a SQL script showing the SQL statement for a create table
-- TD test app. showing how you assign the long string variable, what you SQL insert statement looks like, the SqlPrepExe + Commit and how you know the data never gets to (or is 'lost' in) the database.

The way to test an issue like this is start with a simple test case. That makes it much easier to diagnose and solve the problem. Plus, working through this is how you both understand what is going on and let us know what is going on. That way we can help you.

Sunil

Post by Sunil » 29 Oct 2008, 20:22

Data is available before insert or update in Variable defined as Long String : str .
Using SqlPrepareAndExecute(hSql,'update table longx=:str where rowid=:srowid');
commit;

Data don't get update or insert in table. here I can say ' Lost of Data' .

Sunil

tMarx

Post by tMarx » 31 Oct 2008, 08:42

Hello,
we have the same problem.
In a simple test program it works.
The statement is like this:
Call SqlPrepareAndExecute( hSql,
'UPDATE RQ_POS
SET nLfdArbeiterNr = :nLfdArbeiterNr,
nLfdFNr = :nLfdFNr,
SFBESCHR=:ml1,
SFURSACHE=:ml2,
SFLOESUNG=:ml3
WHERE nLfdRqNr=36765
AND nPos=1' )

SFBESCHR,SFURSACHE,SFLOESUNG are varchar2(2000) and ml1,ml2,ml3 are multiline fields with long string

What can i do ?

Jeff Luther

Post by Jeff Luther » 31 Oct 2008, 09:10

There has been recent forum traffic here recently: http://newforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=2129

on using the function: bOk = SqlSetLongBindDatatype( nBindVarNumber, nDatatype )

That thread has a sample from me on how to use that function for binding any long types. I don't see any mention of this function in your code sample. Are you aware of SqlSetLongBindDatatype() ??

Sunil

Post by Sunil » 31 Oct 2008, 10:23

I have tried this also but this is not helping.
SqlSetLongBindDatatype( nBindVarNumber, nDatatype )

Sunil

Jeff Luther

Post by Jeff Luther » 31 Oct 2008, 10:47

Well, gotta have a test case, Sunil, to be able to diagnose your issues.

Though... a rereading of this thread just caught my eye on something:

Your code line shows: SqlPrepareAndExecute(hSql,'update table longx=:str where rowid=:srowid')

but the title of this thread you began is "Oracle 20g". Well, ROWID in Oracle is *not* the same as ROWID in SQLBase, so I can see where your update above might be failing. Better read the Oracle docs. but ROWID in Oracle as I remember it, is created as another column when a create table command is passed to the DB. The BIG difference between Oracle and SQLBase, however, is that Oracle does NOT update the ROWID value for each change to the DB table. SQLBase does.

This is why ROWID in SQLBase is used for 2 reasons:
-- it can be used as a unique identifier (analogous to a 'temporary' primary key) for a single row in the table, as your update statement above shows

-- it is also used as a row version identifier. That is, if another user changes the row (and ROWID value) you've fetched, then that ROWID will have changed and your update will fail. That's why its use as a 'primary key' is 'temporary.'

In the case of Oracle this won't work. I recall for Oracle people used something like a CURR_VAL/NEXT_VAL feature for adding a DB table column, fetching that, using that along with a PK for that table for update or delete, and when the update went through incrementing (or using a trigger to increment) the CURR_VAL/NEXT_VAL value.

This could well be why your update is failing. And this is only a guess: This is the reason that a test case is required.
"Unify wants repro case but i am not able to create"
You still have not said why you cannot create a test case!!

Sunil

Post by Sunil » 31 Oct 2008, 11:25

I had tried this with unique serial no also and
also tried this.

SqlPrepareAndExecute(hSql,'update table longx=:str,name=:dfname where rowid=:srowid')

here data from longx lost but name ( Datatype varchar2) sucessfully updated.

Sunil

Jean-Marc Gemperle

Post by Jean-Marc Gemperle » 07 Nov 2008, 08:15

Hi Sunil,
have application and data , sended to JM also.
CORRECT even did WebEx with you, as you might recall I could not reproduce the problem. You are using a a table window for what I reacall not a MULTI LINE edit field.
Some mention they have problem with ML you with Table Window and then the data type varchar2 or CLOB... So it is al confusing. If you post the application the DUMP of the DB and clearly specificy what needs to be clicked for us to reproduce the problem I can garantee you, there be a BUG...now there isn't because I don't have what I need to go futher.

Also you say

Re: Oracle 10g Long String Issue in Multiline Text / Long String
by Sunil on Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:22 pm

Data is available before insert or update in Variable defined as Long String : str .
Using SqlPrepareAndExecute(hSql,'update table longx=:str where rowid=:srowid');
commit;

Data don't get update or insert in table. here I can say ' Lost of Data' .

Sunil
Then you say

had tried this with unique serial no also and
also tried this.

SqlPrepareAndExecute(hSql,'update table longx=:str,name=:dfname where rowid=:srowid')

here data from longx lost but name ( Datatype varchar2) sucessfully updated.

Sunil
Sorry Sunil. I can't understand it at all with the best volonty here to aknowledge your problem.
If there are communication problem those can be totally lifted by a TESTCASE or EVEN the application AS LONG IT IS CLEAR how to reproduce the problem.
Because we TALK TD, communication show not be a problem IMO.

So can I ask you can you please provide ANY THING that would show the problem, that is the only things we need. We know sometimes it is difficult to repro,so send again the APP, I'm sure it changed since...and then A README please....how to see the problem, fortunately no concurency issue here:-)

The only things I know so far as outstanding issues is

1) there are problem with SqlSetResultSet() with oracle possibly other back-ends...please search forum for details. It might also be the case with data types other than CLOB.
2) You cannot insert/fetch more than 32KB of CLOB on ORACLE 10g, but you can on ORACLE 11g, search again forum.

Anytime you have issues with something, check you cursor settings...they might cause problem as it is the case with FERS....it is simple to connect a new cursor and use it in place and see if that changes something..... Those sort of simple test often give clues....

JM

Jean-Marc Gemperle

Post by Jean-Marc Gemperle » 07 Nov 2008, 08:23

Hi Tmarx
Hello,
we have the same problem.
In a simple test program it works.
The statement is like this:
Call SqlPrepareAndExecute( hSql,
'UPDATE RQ_POS
SET nLfdArbeiterNr = :nLfdArbeiterNr,
nLfdFNr = :nLfdFNr,
SFBESCHR=:ml1,
SFURSACHE=:ml2,
SFLOESUNG=:ml3
WHERE nLfdRqNr=36765
AND nPos=1' )

SFBESCHR,SFURSACHE,SFLOESUNG are varchar2(2000) and ml1,ml2,ml3 are multiline fields with long string

What can i do ?
Impossible to say at this point the issue is the same as Sunnil at least for me...Can you try to connect a dummy cursor in the application where you have the problem and see if that does someting?
Is the problem RANDOM ? Anyway assuming you can reproduce it quite frequently please provide if you can the application and the data and explanation how to see the problem, if you want to go that route drop me a private message.

JM

Sunil

Post by Sunil » 07 Nov 2008, 08:52

JM.

I have shown problem , written step by step statements , sended code, data and what else you want from me and you have accepted that problem is there , if you are not able to repro that case , it does't mean that is system problem. I am requested Unify that customers are attached with you since and if they have issued and , they can show , what is the problems to solved that. Now you have to see.

Sunil

caa

Post by caa » 07 Nov 2008, 10:28

Sunil, we've had this conversation before: we need to see the problem here to fix it.

When you or someone else can reproduce this, I'll be happy to look at it again. As it is, I have more than enough problems to work on that people CAN reproduce.

Sunil

Post by Sunil » 08 Nov 2008, 06:57

Chris. I am able to insert fresh entries, Retrieving is also ok but failed on update. I saw , data is available in ml1 just before SqlPrepareAndExecute

Any clue now ?

Sunil

Jean-Marc Gemperle

Post by Jean-Marc Gemperle » 13 Nov 2008, 08:48

Sunni,

Tmarx got is bug...it is the same issue as reported first by Johi here see
http://newforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.ph ... johi#p7385

TD-5488

Check if this is your issue...

JM

Sunil

Post by Sunil » 13 Nov 2008, 11:24

JM.

Yes this is same issue, upto TD 5.1 SP3 , Problems was that TD was missing data in ml1 but after SP4, Retrieving is ok but failed to update everytime.

If you got the bug then great .

Sunil

Return to “Bug Reports”