TD51 SP2 Report Builder does not start up at all

Discussion forum about all things Report Builder (all versions).
rudolf.schoebel

TD51 SP2 Report Builder does not start up at all

Post by rudolf.schoebel » 07 May 2008, 09:22

I have installed Team Developer 5.1 with SP2 but Report Builder does not start. No message on screen, no process in task manager. SQL.INI is in windows directory. Access rights in TD program directory is all for admins and system, read and execute for everybody.

Where is the problem?

guptag

Re: TD51 SP2 Report Builder does not start up at all

Post by guptag » 08 May 2008, 18:20

Looks like Report Builder on you machine is picking some wrong runtime. How come you have sql.ini in you system folder. It should exists in the report builder installation folder. Also check in registry, there should exist a key named as INIFilePath under \\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Gupta\ReportBuilder 5.1\ with value as <INSTALL_FOLDER>\sql.ini. Where <INSTALL_FOLDER> should be full installation path.

Hope this helps.

rudolf.schoebel

Post by rudolf.schoebel » 19 May 2008, 09:13

Thanks so far.

My sql.ini resides in windows folder so that any application can find it and that there is only one single sql.ini on the pc.

I have checked the registry entries. The IniFilePath was set to the TD application folder. I changed it to the location of the sql.ini file (windows folder). This had no effect. The Report Builder does not start up at all. No message anyway.

Any help is welcome.

CU

Jean-Marc Gemperle

Post by Jean-Marc Gemperle » 19 May 2008, 10:41

Hi,

Can you tell me to what is your CLIENTRUNTIMEDIR pointing to in your SQL.INI? This keyword tells the SQLBASE API to pickup the SBAPI in the given directory. The install of TD 5.1 set this to the root of the TD 5.1 intallation where SQLBAPW.DLL and SQLWNTM.DLL are as well as the router needed to connect. If you use an OLD sql.ini it is possible this keyword is not set as it relatively recent (SB8 I blieve). I recommend to ALLWAYS set this especially if there are multiple TD version on the machine.

TO test the RB issue not startign this is what I would do
1)rename the sql.ini in the system directory
2)use the sql.ini from the TD 5.1 directory or copy the one you have to this place. check clientruntimedir point to the correct location (TD510). If you have any older TD version rename the directory temporarilly. Check using SQLTALK in TD 5.1 directory that you can connect to what you connect usualy
3)Start RB, if it fails, please comment the registry key given previously. RB should recereate it...

I have seen issues where this happen and comenting the REG key of RB and restarting it, fixed the issue...

Let us know

Cheers
JM

rudolf.schoebel

Post by rudolf.schoebel » 21 May 2008, 08:41

Report Builder runs correctly after first installation of TD5.1. So any configuration issues cannot be the problem.
I don't have a CLIENTRUNTIMEDIR entry in my sql.ini. Inserting this key either with value of TD installation folder or windows folder did not change anything.
The problem is not limited to my pc. We have the same on two other pc (one of them is a notebook).

After installing SP1 or SP2 Report Builder does not start up any longer whereas a copy of the first installation without SP is still running on the same machine with the same configuration.

Any ideas?

guptag

Post by guptag » 21 May 2008, 16:08

One more suggestion. Can you try deleting the following key from registry on the problem machine and then restart your Report Builder.
\\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Gupta\ReportBuilder 5.1\ProfUIS.

Sometimes this worked for me on my test machine.

Hope this helps.

rudolf.schoebel

Post by rudolf.schoebel » 28 May 2008, 09:11

ProfUIS can only be found under \\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Gupta\SQLWindows 5.1 on my machine but not under ...\ReportBuilder 5.1. Deleting that entry has no effect.

Jean-Marc Gemperle

Post by Jean-Marc Gemperle » 04 Jun 2008, 11:48

Hi,

Ok it works now :-) and this is an environment problem. The problem is that we did not find out the reason why this works now :-) and don't know how to make it fail the way it used too. So Rudolf, if you still have an environment where this fails as you told me you got the same issue on multiple environment maybe you can compare...
Also I recommend
1)de-installing TD 5.1 and make sure no left over on the HD and registry
2)installing again TD 5.1 base then SP3 with defaults.
3)check if REPBI is working...it should
4)Only at this point put gradually your changes SQL.INI etc.... always use the clientruntimedir.

Cheers
JM

Return to “General Discussion”