Report Builder

Discussion forum about all things Report Builder (all versions).
wgonzalez

Report Builder

Post by wgonzalez » 28 Dec 2009, 20:38

December 28, 2009

Hello!!

I recently bought Report Builder from Unify Online Store. I have run into
a problem in define Query of Report Builder. I am unable to copy-paste
on this field. I have attached an image of Define Query Form. Can
anyone give me some orientation on how to proceed.

Thanks,

Regards.

William Gonzalez
gonzalezwh@yahoo.com
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

wgonzalez

Re: Report Builder

Post by wgonzalez » 30 Dec 2009, 01:13

December 29, 2009

Hello!

I also tried to write into the Define Query field and it does not let me.
I am guessing that with Report Builder you can only define a Query using
the tools you provide.

When creating a report one is given the option to open Quest files (.QQT).
What is Quest file (.QQT)? Is it one from Quest Software? if it is
what Quest Software tools do I need to work with these sql files.

Thanking in advance for the help provided,

Regards.

William Gonzalez
wgonzalez@infor.net

Mike Vandine

Post by Mike Vandine » 30 Dec 2009, 04:22

Quest is a much older version of the Q product. It produced .QQT files. Report Builder can read those files.

You might look at the Q product, which is also available from our online store.

wgonzalez

Post by wgonzalez » 03 Jan 2010, 15:59

January 3, 2010

Hi There!

1. I downloaded your Q product and would like to know if
it includes a full version of Report Builder or just part
of your Report Builder product with some limitations.

2. I still did not find a way to edit my SQL directly
with Report Builder or your Q product. For example
with Oracle Database I don't know how would I define
a column out of two columns such as FullName in the
following SQL statement without being able to edit the
SQL.

select id, LastName||', '||FirstName FullName,
birthdate
from clients;

3. Have one more question with Report Builder how can
I define and pass run time parameters which are going
to be used in the Where Clause of the Query Definition
of the Report at run time.

Thanking you in advance for your prompt reply,

Regards,

William Gonzalez
wgonzalez@infor.net

Jeff Luther

Post by Jeff Luther » 05 Jan 2010, 01:27

William: you cannot edit the SQL directly (if you mean modify the SQL statement shown in the field), but editing using the other tabs in the Define Query dlg. box are what you use. To answer your questions:
1. I downloaded your Q product and would like to know if it includes a full version of Report Builder or just part of your Report Builder product with some limitations.
JL: In Q, the Query/Report activities include a 'full version', if you mean can they be used to create/edit/save/run queries, generate reports, export the data, etc.
2. I still did not find a way to edit my SQL directly with Report Builder or your Q product. For example with Oracle Database I don't know how would I define a column out of two columns such as FullName in the following SQL statement without being able to edit the
SQL.
JL: You don't. See the Define Query dlg. box tabs for 'building' your query, including which columns to include in the fetch, specify conditions (a where clause), sort (an order by clause), group by.
select id, LastName||', '||FirstName FullName,
birthdate
from clients;
JL: Your query above requires 2 steps:
1 - when you d-click on a table in the 'Source' tab, check only those columns you want in your query: id, LastName, FirstName
2 - When the preview appears, click menu Mode/Design to get to design mode. Then you would link 3 fields together (1: LastName; 2: you add a bkgrnd. field with a ", "; 3: FirstName) to get your LastName || ', ' || FirstName item. (I assume you mean above LastName||', '||FirstName AS FullName; FullName is not needed, since you format your report in design mode as I explain above.)
To link fields, hold down Ctrl key and click each field to be linked. Then click menu Format/Link Fields
3. Have one more question with Report Builder how can I define and pass run time parameters which are going to be used in the Where Clause of the Query Definition of the Report at run time.
JL: That isn't available as a separate prompt. To specify a condition in Q (and RB), use the Define Query 'Conditions' tab to define what the condition(s) would be, like this example using the sample ISLAND DB COMPANY table and fetching on a single COMPANY_ID row:
QueryActivityConditional.png
For any other separate postings about the Q product, there's a Q section here on the forum, so go ahead and use that. There isn't a 'general issues' or 'questions' section there, so go ahead and post in the section most appropriate for your issue. We'll see it there. For this thread, feel free to respond to it here.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

wgonzalez

Post by wgonzalez » 05 Jan 2010, 15:16

Thank your very much Jeff. I know a little better now what
I have to work with.

Return to “General Discussion”