RB2005 hangs opening QRP

Discussion forum about all things Report Builder (all versions).
Another 4.0 User

RB2005 hangs opening QRP

Post by Another 4.0 User » 06 Sep 2012, 20:46

Sometimes you just have to ask the question even when you already know the answer...

I inherited a bunch of highly customized QRP files which are based on default reports provided with the Visual Manufacturing ERP application. I need to make some changes to one of these QRPs but ReportBuilder 2005 hangs indefinitely when I try to open the file (which, surprisingly, still generates the desired report without incident when called from the Visual application).

I can open the QRP in Report Builder 5.2 and even save it, but that doesn't help because a) my installed version of Visual Manufacturing does not recognize v5.x QRP's and b) because Report Builder 5.2 does not have the option of saving backward compatible QRPs.

So, it seems that I am stuck and the only option is to try to recreate the corrupt QRP from scratch, not an easy task since I have no idea what the underlying logic is for most of the report's characteristics. Is there another way around this problem?

Jeff Luther

Re: RB2005 hangs opening QRP

Post by Jeff Luther » 06 Sep 2012, 23:05

I understand and this issue of '(unknowingly) modify a QRP with newer RB, then try to read it in or update older RB runtime' is an issue that has nuked a number of users.
ReportBuilder 2005 hangs indefinitely when I try to open the file (which, surprisingly, still generates the desired report without incident when called from the Visual application).
Without being able to see the QRP this tells me that Visual's RB runtime is newer than RB v4.0 (aka '2005). Newer RB can generally read in an older QRP but not the reverse.
I can open the QRP in Report Builder 5.2 and even save it, but that doesn't help because a) my installed version of Visual Manufacturing does not recognize v5.x QRP's and b) because Report Builder 5.2 does not have the option of saving backward compatible QRPs.
I have a hack on my TD page: http://www.jeffluther.net/unify/#Code_Samples
scroll down to RB Samples and see #1. For older -- pre v5.1 -- QRP files, like saved in v4.x there's a header patch that could be applied to basically 'back port' it to RB v3.0. This worked years ago and may still for older RBs, as I say. What it will no longer work for is a v5.x RB file to back port it to v3, say. I think the reason is that header sizes changed due to Unicode double-byte support when Unify released v5.1.

So..... I'm afraid without a 'before' backup of the QRP file which is easier to mod. than recreate, if you've updated the only copy of the QRP then either get an originall again off Visual install CD or whatever their process is (or another install of Visual at your site), or.... as a last resort you have to recreate it.

Another 4.0 User

Post by Another 4.0 User » 07 Sep 2012, 15:17

Thanks for your reply Jeff.

Let me flesh this out a bit and see if you can make any sense of it.

The guy who created these reports (he modified or created new hundreds of QRPs for our Visual ERP application) is deceased, so there is not the option to ask him for details. In this particular case, Visual provides a series of report files (let's call them report1.qrp, report2.qrp, report3.qrp ... report8.qrp) all of which report on the same data but with variations in the primary selection set and (select by buyer, by planner, etc) and differences in the basic report layout.

My predecessor modified all of these reports and, in most cases, extended them with finer granularity - let's say report1a.qrp, report1b.qrp, report2a.qrp, report2b.qrp ... report2f.qrp, and so on. I can open all of these QRPs in Report Builder 2005 v4.0.0 with the exception of the report5x series. It strikes me as odd that there is not one "corrupt" file, but all the QRPs in this particular series.

Now, as I mentioned, I can open these files in Report Builder 5.2 - and here is where it gets interesting - I am convinced that the "corrupt" files were not accidentally saved in 5.2 for these reasons:
  • 1. If I open a file in 5.2 and save it, it is significantly larger than the original (presumed v4 version) - 33.6kb vs. 22.6kb for the report I just now tested, as an example
  • 2. If I deliberately save a QRP using Report Builder 5.2 and then try to run it in Visual ERP, I get the following error: "File version 1.07 is not supported by this program." I am not seeing this error with the corrup files; in fact, as stated previously, they run fine in Visual and generate correct reports. I simply cannot open them in the RB2005 editor.
I am trying to find out if this guy was somehow running a later release of RB2005 v4.x which creates files compatible with Visual but not with my v4.0.0 editor. Everyone I speak with here (and at Visual) says that v4.0.0 is the only version available to us due to licensing conditions, but my gut tells me that he must have been using something later.

Is there anyone out there using a v4.x release later than v4.0.0 who can try opening one of these QRPs?

Jeff Luther

Post by Jeff Luther » 07 Sep 2012, 22:19

Is there anyone out there using a v4.x release later than v4.0.0 who can try opening one of these QRPs?
Well I have TDs from 1.5 through latest 6.1 on my machine, so feel free to attach a QRP and info. as to RB version if you know it. This is one of the t/s things we do around here ("Hey, Jeff, try it out!") and I can back-port a TD to earlier version for testing as well. (TDs/RBs: 1.5, 2.1, 3.0, 3.1, 4.2, 5.2, 6.0, 6.1)

Oh, I even have the old SQLWindows 16-bit v5.0 from 1994. If you haven't seen the original, here it is, attached. (that's the original "Coding Asst." tiled on the left.)

That's the good news... the bad news is that it's Friday mid-pm out here in Calif. and I'm taking a week's vacation next week so I will not be around to do any testing of your QRP next week. I'll be returning Monday, 9/17, though, and somewhere along the way of catching up on my 'inbox' et al I'll try to get to the forum by early that week.

That doesn't mean someone else might not be able to try to load your QRP. So, feel free to attach it any time.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “General Discussion”