Solved TD-14569: Report Builder: wrong line wrap

Report bugs and possible workarounds.
anuta

TD-14569: Report Builder: wrong line wrap

Post by anuta » 12 Nov 2010, 10:32

With TD52 version of application, customers existing reports look wrong, even if opened and saved with Report Builder 52.

If fields have a right border and line wrap is set, some lines run out of border. In TD/RB 31, same line looks a little bit compressed (the last 2-3 letters have smaller offset than others) - may be not so beautiful but much better than if last 1-2 letters of the line are behind the border as in TD/RB 52!

Please help!

Jeff Luther

Re: TD-14569: Report Builder: wrong line wrap

Post by Jeff Luther » 12 Nov 2010, 20:01

We need a test case to look at, Anna. Maybe screens shorts too of what you are seeing.

anuta

Post by anuta » 18 Nov 2010, 15:13

Team Developer 3.1
screenshot_linewrapViewRB31.jpg
screenshot_linewrapViewRB31_2.jpg
Team Developer 5.2
3 Cells with other font name and other font size, to show that it is not helpful to make line wrap strategie better. Other cells with same font name and size as TD32.
screenshot_linewrapViewRB52.jpg
screenshot_linewrapViewRB52_2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jeff Luther

Post by Jeff Luther » 18 Nov 2010, 23:36

Well, it looks like the QRP will need to be adjusted a bit in RB v5.2. Note that the left side at "Postion Einheit" is also shifted just a little bit as well.

In terms of the text wrapping in v3.1 and appearing not always to in v5.2, I would check the properties of those input items, especially the dlg. box tabs "Field" and "Behavior". Maybe a property or something internal from v3.1 changed?

Also, maybe font size changed? Look at "TRENNLEISTE" in the 2nd column. It may be 1 point (?) larger in the v5.2 image, which is why it extends beyond the edge.

anuta

Post by anuta » 19 Nov 2010, 10:24

Properties of "Field" and "Behavior" are the same as in RB 31. The font size and type in the cell with "TRENNLEISTE" is set greater just to demonstrate that change of font size or type (sans-serif or non-proportional font) does not help with the problem.

I think the reason is using of the flag DT_NOCLIP for text drawing in RB52 (as optimization? - DrawText is somewhat faster when DT_NOCLIP is used). But from my level it is not possible to control how this paramater is handled in the internal implementation of text drawing in ReportBuilder.

Any ideas for a workaround?

My only idea at the time is to provide RB with already line-wrapped text (prepared with Windows GDI API), but in this case i have to know (not really the option) or to query RB (how?) about the available size of the cell and used font parameter.

Jeff Luther

Post by Jeff Luther » 20 Nov 2010, 00:59

Any ideas for a workaround?
Only using RB v5.2 to open the QRP and adjust that right edge so its aligned again, as I suggested before. Zip and attach a v5.2 QRP, so I can see if what I mean can be done. This is always the problem when there's no test case or sample: You *have* the file, I can only guess by what I see (but cannot 'play' with).

anuta

Post by anuta » 22 Nov 2010, 12:25

Hello Jeff,

qrp Files are sent per PM. There are version 31 and 52 of the same report, a little bit anonymized.

Greetings

Jeff Luther

Post by Jeff Luther » 23 Nov 2010, 00:36

Well, I want to keep this 'public' and not in private mail. Just attach a sample QRP here to this thread. Remove everything except what you have shown in your previous screen shots. It's for editing only and doesn't have to work. This is a design-time issue you should be able to edit, if not, then that when attaching a small sample makes sense.

anuta

Post by anuta » 23 Nov 2010, 09:37

In attachment, there are two versions of the same report:

1. original created with RB31
2. opened and saved with RB52.

Greetings
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jeff Luther

Post by Jeff Luther » 24 Nov 2010, 01:10

Anna: Simply a matter of select multiple lines in the bottom section (Shift+ click on lines), then menu Align/Right sides. I don't have RB v3.1 so read your 3.1 QRP into 4.2 (note, the misalignment with v4.2 as well) and see an alignment issue with and the 5.2 version toward bottom of report in preview mode:
4.2-5.2-BeforeAligningRightSidesIn4.2.png
I then did a multi-select of those on the right side of the report, aligned right sides, saved under new names and now have this:
4.2-5.2-AfterAligningRightSidesIn4.2.png
See the differences? That aligning is the 'fine tuning' I was mentioning. That is what you will need to do to clean up the 3.1 using RB v5.2. I'll attach my changed 5.2 version.

anuta

Post by anuta » 24 Nov 2010, 11:54

Thank you for the help, Jeff.

But for me, the "aligned" Report dont looks better/different then not-aligned version ? I have used your qrp file unchanged first, then tried to apply align-rights procerure as suggested to the problematic lines, but the result was in both cases the same:
screenshot_linewrapViewRB52_right_aligned.jpg
If the word is longer then the available width of the cell (unfortunately often in German), the word break occurs later then required. For example, the first word in the field "Kurztext1" and "Kurztext2" is "Beeinflussungsberechnung". What you see after word break, is "Beeinflussungsbe" and "echnung" in the next line. The "r" is in the neighbor cell impacted with its first letter. It should be "Beeinflussungsbe" and "rechnung" in the next line, better "Beeinflussungsb" and "erechnung" in the next line.

Sure i dont understand the clou. Select the field with the wrong line break (in the example, 'Kurztext1') and text-lines under it which at runtime will be filled with "broken" text ? Click context menu Align/Right Sides?
screenshot_linewrapViewRB52_procedure.jpg
Repeate for all problematic "columns" ("Kurztext2"..."Kurztext9") ?

Jeff Luther

Post by Jeff Luther » 24 Nov 2010, 23:08

Anna -- I've gone about as far as I can with this, but let me respond to you:
Report dont looks better/different then not-aligned version ?
Did you see exactly what I did change? It wasn't where you have your first image in your last msg. It was *specically* and only in the section I showed in my *second* image. That image is called "4.2-5.2-AfterAligningRightSidesIn4.2.png" and I fixed *only* the right edge of that box around "Auftraggeber". Look at that straight right edge for both reports in the second image. NOW compare that to the first image the "Before" image for the right edge. That edge is not straight.
the word break
Is a totally separate issue and of course I cannot verify or 'fix' that with only the QRP (since there is no data). You could try changing font size, setting Properties to provide wrapping. Otherwise, you need to put together a complete but small test case with TD app + QRP so we can see the issue.

anuta

Post by anuta » 25 Nov 2010, 12:27

In my opinion, for a reporting tool the word break is not the totally separate issue but the required feature of line wrap mechanism?

A small test case is attached. Long words are entered as formula in the concerned fields and the result of word break can be shown with Report/Preview.

Greetings

anuta

Post by anuta » 08 Dec 2010, 10:33

What i have to do to let the line break including word break work properly? What is wrong in the report attached above ?

There are not so much combinatoric possibilities for line wrappping in the register "Behavior":
Report Register Behavior.jpg
I stupid tried followed combinations of line wrapping settings:

1. None
2. Dynamic + Overlay Existing Lines On
3. Dynamic + Overlay Existing Lines Off
4. Maximum 0 + Overlay Existing Lines On
5. Maximum 0 + Overlay Existing Lines Off
6. Maximum 1 + Overlay Existing Lines On
7. Maximum 1 + Overlay Existing Lines Off
8. Maximum 2 + Overlay Existing Lines On
9. Maximum 2 + Overlay Existing Lines Off
10. Maximum 3 + Overlay Existing Lines On
11. Maximum 3 + Overlay Existing Lines Off
12. Maximum 4 + Overlay Existing Lines On
13. Maximum 4 + Overlay Existing Lines Off

After each change i not only take a look in report preview, but additional make a test print. But no chance! Every time the same result (except the setting "None" which as expected don't produce any word break):
result.JPG
Also all attempts with different font size and font type (including proportional vs non proportional fonts) were in vain.

For me, it looks as a bug in RB word break algorithm. If it is not so, through which settings is it possible to get a right word break of long words in my example report?

Thanks!

Jeff Luther

Post by Jeff Luther » 09 Dec 2010, 01:38

Well, I just ran your test attached to your 25 NOV msg, and see this in Preview mode:
JL_v5.2-showsTextOverlappingWithNextField.png
and when I 'relaxed' the long values in the first 2 columns so there were spaces between the words, I get this:
JL_v5.2-showsTextOverlappingWithNextField-2.png
which looks lots better, of course.
Long words are entered as formula in the concerned fields
WORKAROUND? Then looks like as part of these long words (or separate words) you will want to concat. a space (' ' ) between each element like I did manually for the 2nd (-2) image above. Let us know if that works for you.

Return to “Bug Reports”