Solved TD-14569: Report Builder: wrong line wrap

Report bugs and possible workarounds.
anuta

Re: TD-14569: Report Builder: wrong line wrap

Post by anuta » 09 Dec 2010, 10:46

Hello Jeff,

unfortunately, it is not a viable way for German.

There are some examples of german compounds:
"Freundschaftsbezeigungen“
„Dilettantenaufdringlichkeiten“
„Stadtverordnetenversammlungen“
„Generalstaatsverordnetenversammlungen“
„Altertumswissenschaften“
„Kinderbewahrungsanstalten“
„Unabhängigkeitserklärungen“
„Wiederherstellungsbestrebungen“
„Waffenstillstandsunterhandlungen“

Apart from compounds, german words are generally longer than english, for examle "Wiederbeschaffung", "Allgegenwärtigkeit".

(For further reading, i can recommend you Mark Twain's "The Awful German Language" .)

Such words (which occure with high frequency) have to be broken, it is grammatical unpossible to insert any blanks between word parts.

Of course, it would be fine, if RB did a wordbreak according to wordbreak rules, but at least a clean cut inside of cell boundaries is a necessary condition.

Jeff Luther

Post by Jeff Luther » 09 Dec 2010, 23:22

if RB did a wordbreak according to wordbreak rules
Well, poor old ReportBuilder isn't going to be able to separate out "Generalstaatsverordnetenversammlungen" any better than you could, and if it did do word breaks it would for English words.

I think you are trying to squeeze 40 people into a Volkswagen. (Back in my day they tried that, but with varying results!) Maybe abbreviate the words? Sorry, can't help you beyond this.

anuta

Post by anuta » 10 Dec 2010, 10:34

It is not a grammatical nor language specific issue at all. A bottom line is, any word in an alphabetic writing system consist of letters, and this letters have to rest in their own cell and not to walk into the neighbor cell, if the setting "line wrap" is on. Also if the word is longer as a cell.

If it is not possible to say how RB can provide an acceptable wordwrap (exactly the same as RB31 provide) with the existing means, please register this issue as a bug. Maybe it can be quickly solved with simple Copy&Paste the working code from RB31.

We support List & Label also, but it is very expensive to convert all existing customer reports, so the solution to go away from RB is not really the option.

anuta

Post by anuta » 10 Dec 2010, 13:40

Please so:

RB52.jpg
arrow.jpg
excel.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jeff Luther

Post by Jeff Luther » 10 Dec 2010, 23:18

please register this issue as a bug
Done. Bug in RB v5.2 SP2, added as defect TD-14569. The bug is that RB v5.2 is overwriting the left/right borders of the bkgrnd. text item, like my first image in my comment 8 DECEMBER.

Return to “Bug Reports”