Report builder block not visible

Report bugs and possible workarounds.
bcotting

Report builder block not visible

Post by bcotting » 26 Oct 2015, 10:27

We are now testing td6.2 on win7(32).
No problem with 4.2 version.

we have a report with a page header contionned to not be visible on firt page of each client.
In some case for some clients on the fisrt page only the page footer is visible and not the others bloks, the second page is ok.
If a print from the peview the report printed is ok; or if i click on the button adjust the page i see all data ok.
The problem is for the first preview or direct print.
The problem change with the number of page of the report.

Have somebody an idea of theproblem ?

thank you

Jeff Luther
Site Admin
Site Admin
United States of America

Re: Report builder block not visible

Post by Jeff Luther » 28 Oct 2015, 17:28

Most of what you wrote makes it sound like a repaint/update RB report issue. You wrote:
In some case for some clients on the fisrt page only the page footer is visible and not the others bloks, the second page is ok.
To test this, in Preview Mode I would minimize the window, then restore the window to see if it's now painted correctly, as one test.

You did open into RB v6.2 your old v4.2 QRP file and save it out from v6.2, didn't you? If not, that might be the reason, as a guess, especially since you wrote "and not the others blocks [are visible]...". That could indicate a corrupted or at least 'flakey' file?

As a side note, be aware that if your report has a Report Header section with data in it, the first page never displays the Page Header; RB cannot display both. Ditto the last page: If there's a Report Footer and it's displayed then the last page's Page Footer is not displayed either.

What happens if you fetch data to print the first page only?
What happens if you run the appl. off-hours when no one else is on the network, or traffic is slow?
Does this happen both in design mode when run from TD, or only with TD runtime and the deploy files?

I suggest you do some more testing to see if you can narrow down (that is, 'find the edges') when this displays/prints OK and when it does not. You don't say anything about the network, where the DB is, nor where the printer is located (local to the PC or on the network?) so this might be a 'speed-type' problem: RB internally is ahead of the data it needs and only catches up on page 2 and later. Again, just a guess.

Let us know what you find out.
Jeff Luther @ PC Design
Palm Springs, California

bcotting

Post by bcotting » 03 Nov 2015, 14:00

How can the conditional display of the page header have effect on other block with non conditional display ?

Jeff Luther
Site Admin
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by Jeff Luther » 03 Nov 2015, 22:10

I don't think it can either. That's why I wrote:
Most of what you wrote ...
and as another possible reason
You did open into RB v6.2 your old v4.2 QRP file ...
Did you look at the rest of my reply to you to try any suggestions to narrow down the problem? It is very rare that asking questions only will give you a 'miracle' cure for an issue like this. That's why I also suggestion that you
do some more testing to see if you can narrow down (that is, 'find the edges')...
Jeff Luther @ PC Design
Palm Springs, California

bcotting

Post by bcotting » 04 Nov 2015, 10:59

Hello,

I have made new tests with a new report made with reportbuilder 6.2.
I have the same problem, the circonstance are with conditional page header with Pagenumber() fonction, and a page break in the block after the page header.
If the problem is on the first page and i desactive the page break it's ok, or if put "0" in thu conditinal page header it's ok.

It's the same constatation if the problem is on another pages.
It seems that he problem is dependant of the number of page of the report and the number of page between the page break in the first block.

Each time on the blank page if a click on button "Active size/fit in a window" i can see the page complet normal.

Jeff Luther
Site Admin
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by Jeff Luther » 04 Nov 2015, 17:12

I am not sure what the issue could be. Your report requires a 'two pass total' defined? You wrote
the circumstances are with conditional page header with Pagenumber() function
Could this be an off-by-one issues? I don't know when PageNumber() is defined for the >current< page by RB; perhaps it is when RB is going to process the Page/Report Footer blocks? If so, that function might not be valid in a previous block of the report for that page.

I do not have TD v6.2 installed (and was only trying to help generally) so all I can suggest is that you write a small test case appl. + test QRP and details on how to reproduce the problem, zip it and attach it here. Maybe another user can look at it and see what the problem is.
Jeff Luther @ PC Design
Palm Springs, California

bcotting

Post by bcotting » 05 Nov 2015, 07:55

Hello,
how to make a two pass report to try or how force 2 pass ?

Thank you.

bcotting

Post by bcotting » 05 Nov 2015, 10:00

I think it's really a bug of first display with RB62 with conditonal page header and page break in first block (condion using pagenumber of the report).
The result is the same if all the page header is contional or only one line of the page header.
The values (ex: pagenumber()-1) used in my test are rigtht direct on first display.
There are no reason to hide the contents of the page, no condition in the other blocks of the page, and all data are visible with button fit page preview or on print from preview.

I have tried with TD63 and RB63, the problem is the same.

Jeff Luther
Site Admin
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by Jeff Luther » 05 Nov 2015, 23:58

Report.pdf ships with TD. That's the book for details on RB and its features.

If you think it's a bug, make a small repro. Test case, zip it and see if Mike V. will submit it.
Jeff Luther @ PC Design
Palm Springs, California

bcotting

Post by bcotting » 06 Nov 2015, 14:22

Hello,

I want to make a sample with my report (.qrp) with data in csv file, but i don't find how to do .
I have done this once but i don't find it.

Thank you.

Jeff Luther
Site Admin
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by Jeff Luther » 06 Nov 2015, 22:02

I think you should read the TD and report PDF books as a way of learning. You might also check the Samples or Bug Reports section of the TD sub-forum areas. Perhaps you can find something that will give you some ideas.

Many of use are just volunteers here, and are not able to teach people how to program in TD in this forum. The components for a test case that you would zip together and submit in a new posting in the Bug Reports section would be:
* info. in a text file for example explaining on the problem and listing the steps how to run your sample/test to reproduce it.

* a small TD test case -- not your business application -- that:
-- could have some data in the test app itself, or...
-- perhaps could use a CSV file as you suggest as the place for the sample data.

* a QRP that can be called by the TD test, provide the QRP with data using via the SAM_Report msgs. and which shows the report display problem you describe.
Jeff Luther @ PC Design
Palm Springs, California

bcotting

Post by bcotting » 10 Nov 2015, 14:44

I have made a sample with a access base (with a table) and a report , the report need a dsn testdata.
The problem is with the first preview just after open report, if we reenter in design mode and then preview mode all is normal.
The 2 files are in zip attached.

Thank you.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jeff Luther
Site Admin
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by Jeff Luther » 11 Nov 2015, 22:39

As I wrote, I do not have TD v6.2. I did look at your zip file, however, so let me make a comment or 2 on what you provided. This is just my opinion:

** Here's what is generally the type of test case/sample that people provide, both for other users to check out and in the event that you post something in the Bugs section, what development is likely to expect -- and I wrote this in my reply on 6 NOV:
> A small TD test case, saved in text format, that can be run to show the problem or issue.

> Text , unless written at the top of the TD app, that briefly describes the problem and when necessary lists the steps to use when running the test app.

> In your case of a report issue, a small QRP that will show the problem when run in Preview and/or Print mode(s).

> Where does the report data come from? I think ideally, it comes from the TD test case app itself, via hard-coded values, perhaps from a CSV or other text file that's part of the test case. Data could come from a small SQL LOAD file if SQLBase is or could be used for the data source. a LOAD with CREATE TABLE and some INSERT INTO rows of data SQL commands is best. Keep it generic so a user or dev. could run the LOAD file with other DB brands.

What you provided is a self-contained RB CQT file but an MDB database that would require another user or development to have Access installed to be able to test. If this were an MS Access-specific Forum that would make sense. As it is, though, MDB as the data source makes it more difficult to others to test for you.
Jeff Luther @ PC Design
Palm Springs, California

bcotting

Post by bcotting » 12 Nov 2015, 14:45

I wanted to do a sample with a csv file with a dsn on this file to link with the report, with this the test was easy.
But in report the difine query received the name of file for the table data "xxx.csv" and the the name is not accepted, i think the "." is not correctly interpreted.

I will do another sample and put in bug section.

Thanky you.

bcotting

Post by bcotting » 16 Nov 2015, 09:22

Here is a sample with databse ISLAND and a table TestData.
I have attached the script to create table and insert the data.

The report attached is link to table TestData of ISLAND.
Then open the report and with the first preview the content of the first page is not visible (only page footer)
If click on button (fit in a window) the content is visible.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Bug Reports”