Solved TD-14909: RB 6.0 SP1: Corrupt printer output on multipage RTF

Report bugs and possible workarounds.
Nils Jänicke
Germany

TD-14909: RB 6.0 SP1: Corrupt printer output on multipage RTF

Post by Nils Jänicke » 25 Jan 2011, 11:28

Very simple example. RTF on a QRP report.
If the report has RTF page breaks or the RTF is printed on multiple pages, the output is not correct.

See example 1. Here we converted a 6 page word document to RTF (simple text only with headlines and page breaks). The document is correctly printed to the end of the RTF, but then there are 49 empty pages at the end.
Example 2 is printed correctly, because I've reduced the RTF document to less than 1 page.
Example 3 is the SP1 bugfix list opened with MS word and stored to RTF (without any changes). You can see, that on the last page the first page of the RTF is printed again.

I hope you will fix this bug with SP2.

Nils
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jeff Luther

Re: TD-14909: RB 6.0 SP1: Corrupt printer output on multipage RTF

Post by Jeff Luther » 26 Jan 2011, 02:12

Hmmm, I was hoping for a test case. I only see QRP, PDF & RTF files.

Example 1 -- have you looked at your TD source to see what the SAM_ReportFetchNext msg. coding is doing? Does it Return FALSE after 6 pages yet the PDF keeps cranking out blank pages? How are you printing PDF? Via SalReport functiion, I assue?
** NEED A TEST CASE

Example 3: is a different issue, right? That's a step-and-repeat of the README contents? That's different than printing the contents then xx blank pages at the end.
If you are testing this then we need that test case APP file.

Nils Jänicke
Germany

Post by Nils Jänicke » 26 Jan 2011, 09:34

Jeff Luther wrote:Hmmm, I was hoping for a test case. I only see QRP, PDF & RTF files.
This IS a testcase.
You can open the QRP file with the report builder and then try to print (Menu File - "Print"). The QRP only contains a static RTF content, so it is easy to test. By the way the result is similar if you are programming a report and fill the RTF by program, but this testcase might show you where the problem is.
Jeff Luther wrote:Example 1 -- have you looked at your TD source to see what the SAM_ReportFetchNext msg. coding is doing? Does it Return FALSE after 6 pages yet the PDF keeps cranking out blank pages? How are you printing PDF? Via SalReport functiion, I assue?
I have used the "Print" menu item from the menu of the report builder and used "CIB Brewer" as printer to generate a PDF (CIB Brewer is a printer driver to print into a PDF file, we used it in our 3.1 application to generate PDF documents)
Printing is the same result, but I can't send paper to the unify forum...
Jeff Luther wrote:Example 3: is a different issue, right? That's a step-and-repeat of the README contents? That's different than printing the contents then xx blank pages at the end.
If you are testing this then we need that test case APP file.
I think there is a bug that the RTF support of the report builder does not correctly finds the end of a RTF if it has more than one page. I think it depends on the data within the RTF if the report prints empty pages or repeats other content at the end, I think if the RTF output ends at the position where the RTF data ends both reports will work.

You don't need a TD application to test these QRP files!

Nils

Jeff Luther

Post by Jeff Luther » 28 Jan 2011, 01:24

'Test cases'
RTFReport1.qrp -- previews and prints out one (nearly blank) 'report: "Untitled" header and date, "Page 1" footer. NO multipage problem like you show in PDF

RTFReport2.qrp -- previews and prints 1 page of RTF text. Just like like you show in PDF

RTFReport3.qrp -- previews and prints 6 pages of RTF text - RTF #3 last line, "TD-14612", prints on the bottom of page 5, then page 6 is blank except for header/footer info.
And even when I removed 2 lines from RTF #3 file, I still get an extra, 6th blank page. Note "blank"/empty; I do not see any bogus/corrupted data from the RTF file on the last/6th page. I ran RTFReport3.qrp in both RB v5.2 SP2 and RB v6. SP1 and see the same behavior.

I have added an RB v6 defect TD-14909 for what I see: blank 6th page, even when I modified the RTF to have 2 fewer lines. I'll attach my mod. RTF and QRP.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Nils Jänicke
Germany

Post by Nils Jänicke » 28 Jan 2011, 08:09

This is the result when I try to print your QRP. Printing is the same result. The RTF is printed correctly until page 5 and on page 6 it begins at the top of the RTF again without an end, the page footer is not printed and the RTF goes until the bottom of the page.

Nils Jänicke
Germany

Post by Nils Jänicke » 28 Jan 2011, 08:31

Ok, back to example 1. It seems that the RTF is not correctly stored to the QRP file.
Try this: Open the Report1.qrp, then click on the Rich text - Properties - Source and then "paste from" RTFExample1.rtf.
Then try to preview or print the QRP. The report now has 57 pages and most of them are empty.
Save the qrp and reopen then the content is missing. Is there a maximum size for RTF contents? RTFExample1.rtf is about 67 KB, maybe you can only store max. 64 MB internally?

Maybe there is a problem calculating the end of a RTF? Maybe depending on the local settings like numbers with decimal point in USA and decimal comma in germany? Or different units inch vs. mm, or different page size US letter vs. DIN A4?

Jeff Luther

Post by Jeff Luther » 16 Feb 2011, 20:11

News
- yes, TD-14909 is fixed in upcoming v6 SP2. I just ran you test with today's internal build (24141) and "TD-145571... ", bottom line in RTF file, shows up bottom of report page 5 OK. SP2 due out next month some time, last I heard.

Jeff Luther

Post by Jeff Luther » 02 Mar 2011, 02:07

v6 SP2 is scheduled to be released within a couple week, last half of this month, March, some time last I heard.

Nils Jänicke
Germany

Post by Nils Jänicke » 06 Apr 2011, 13:29

Here is an example of an output. You can see, that the last page is corrupted.

(the file was printed to a PDF printer driver, not using the internal PDF output, this does not work either...)

Nils Jänicke
Germany

Post by Nils Jänicke » 18 Jul 2011, 15:49

Seems to be fixed with SP3. Thank you.

Return to “Bug Reports”