Solved TD-15287: RB: conditional suppressing of lines including RT-fields

Report bugs and possible workarounds.
Georg Diczig
Germany

TD-15287: RB: conditional suppressing of lines including RT-fields

Post by Georg Diczig » 09 Jun 2011, 12:20

We are able now to print RichText content using RichText-Fields in RB but it is not possible to suppress the line including this fields if the RichText-content is empty.
The "Condition Display" section of the line properties does not permit to select an item or varioable of type "Rich Text". In this case this lines are always printed as empty lines!
Also a "Condition Display" section for Rich Text-fields is not implemented.

TD6 SP2 EMP5351
Best Regards
Georg Diczig

Jeff Luther

Re: TD-15287: RB: conditional suppressing of lines including RT-fields

Post by Jeff Luther » 10 Jun 2011, 00:59

I'm checking internally about this, Georg.

Jeff Luther

Post by Jeff Luther » 10 Jun 2011, 19:10

I did hear back from a TD developer about your RichText (RT) issues, Georg. Conclusion: The issues you see and wrote about earlier are "As Designed" and not possible defects. Here's more in detail his responses based on your comments:
YOU wrote: It is not possible to suppress the line including this fields if the RichText-content is empty.
The "Condition Display" section of the line properties does not permit to select an item or varioable of type "Rich Text".

HIS response: RB doesn’t allow the rich text input var to be used in the line condition – compared to normal string , its behavior is very different. Even though the content is empty, rich text input variable still has pre-defined file header and other stuff ( font table, color table , style …. Etc ) included in the body. This means the input variable itself is not empty even though its content is empty.

He provided a workaround for this -- If the content is coming from TD rich text control window:
1. Define a number variable like nEmpty
2. Set nEmpty = SalRTFTextGetSelected() to get the content
3. Call SalReportSetNumberVar( nEmpty ) based on the content retrieved from step 2
4. Use the number var nEmpty in the line condition formula
YOU also wrote: Also a "Condition Display" section for Rich Text-fields is not implemented.

HIS response: the rich text field “condition display”, this is not missing, this is not supported

Georg Diczig
Germany

Post by Georg Diczig » 15 Jun 2011, 11:16

Hi Jeff,

I don't really understand the point of view of the developer in this case.
Why do you think that internally richt text informations like font table, color table, style information has to be evaluated in a formula? From my point of view a rich text variable referenced by a formula would be first transformed into a string and than handled as a string. With "transformed into string" I mean the visible section ( the content section ) of the rich text without any color or font settings! This internally RB function is already implemented for SalReportPrintToFile textoutput, TD-15287
Export to Text was not possible previously. This has been enhanced in our internal build, relating to TD-15287 for which we're currently preparing an EMP.
However, since I some test hanged, I created TD-15431.
In this way we would be able to use all of Str-functions provided by RB in combination with richtext!!

Thanks also for the workaround, but the content comes in the most of the cases from the database. In this case we have to implement new databasecolumns saving the length of the richtextcontent to be able to suppress the line for empty fields in report. This is not really what "Rapid Application Development for Windows" means.
Using a query in the report you are not able to suppress empty lines.

For me is this a bug! So please discuss it internally again.
Thanks Georg
Best Regards
Georg Diczig

Return to “Bug Reports”