TD-18127: RB error: Blank page when hiding page header

Report bugs and possible workarounds.
ivanlun

TD-18127: RB error: Blank page when hiding page header

Post by ivanlun » 09 May 2012, 09:53

Hello,

this problem is currently a blocker for us, and we had to stop migrating from TD 5.1 to 6.0 because of this issue!
I already posted this in the TD 6.0 Bug Reports area, but received no answer.

So I tried the repro case with TD 6.1 and got the same wrong behaviour.
So I post the issue here and hope to get an answer here, while I expect more user interaction here.
But be aware that the error persists since TD 6.0; to be honest, I would like to find out how to solve this problem or get it solved in TD 6.0 SP 5 if possible...

What we want:
We want a report with resulting in more parts; every part should start with page number 1.
We did this by setting a variable for the page number on every group switch - but you can do it also by letting the report itself reset the page number on group break - in the repro case I did both, no difference how you make it.
We have a page header; we want to hide it on every first page and to show it on all other pages.

This worked fine under Team Developer 5.1.
But with Team Developer 6.1 (and 6.0 SP5) i this case, we get an empty page (or, to be precise, a page with only the page footer on it) for the first page.
This happens when you look at the preview or when you print it directly.

It seams to be a calculation error - the page is accidentally not empty anymore when you zoom in and out once!
Then the once zoomed page prints out also correctly if you print from the preview window.

But this is a big problem, as we use similar reports for very important things (room lists, invoices etc.).

Please try the repro case, you'll see immediately what I mean - first, try to view/print the report with TD 5.1 project (page has data on it), then with the TD 6.1 project (page has no data on it)!

Thank you in advance;
please let me know; also if you at least can provide a simple workaround for this BUG!

Kind regards
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jeff Luther

Re: TD-18127: RB error: Blank page when hiding page header

Post by Jeff Luther » 10 May 2012, 23:46

if you at least can provide a simple workaround for this BUG!
I would be delighted to, but I cannot figure this out. I read what you wrote, but you'll need to walk me through this:
QRP - Page Header Conditional Display: formula NotFirstPage(): NumberIFF( PageNumber() - 1, 0, 0, 1 )
is this the trigger that's hiding page 1?

This isn't a simple report and dev. will have to understand this as well. What it looks like is that it's internal to the QRP -- I'd hoped there was something in TD app. code that triggered this 'hide' (really, ignore and don't print) for page 1, but I don't see anything different in running 5.1 with animate on (where it does display page 1) and 5.2 - 6.1 where page 1 is not displayed.

CONCLUSION: So basically, page 1 *THE FIRST TIME* is supposed to show; all other 'Page 1' should be hidden? And this is working for v5.1 but broke with v5.2 and later?

MY GUESS? PageNumber() return value or NumberIFF() evaluation changed in v5.2?

ivanlun

Post by ivanlun » 15 May 2012, 14:08

Hello Jeff,

First of all thank you for your answer; it shows me that there is someone working on this issue and that you take this seriously!

There is no code directly hiding the page header from the app.
As you stated correctly, there is a conditional display function that controls this hiding of the page header. It is very simple, once it depended on a variable set from the app while "report notify", in this example it depends from the result of PageNumber().

The result under TD 6.X is always the same for both variants: Hiding the page header under certain circumstances ends in a mostly blank white page!
That has got nothing to do with the formula for hiding it (I hope so, imagine NumberIFF would not work like it did the last 20 years! Definitely not acceptable and possible!) - that seems correct and as you see on the page, the PageNumber() function works correctly.

It seems more that the QRP render engine (or whatever calculates the pages and the graphical elements on it) works wrong in this case; because of this, after changing the zoom factor in the preview window shows the affected pages correctly (!); same thing when printing then (but not before!!!)...

The error seems to come from the part of the SAL that works on the QRP and makes a printable report from it or something later in this process; it makes no difference in which ReportBuilder Version (5.1 or 6.1) you save the QRP file and what you do while "report fetch" or "notify"...

Thank you for taking this seriously

Sincere yours

ivanlun

Post by ivanlun » 05 Jun 2012, 08:52

Hello Jeff or anyone else,

any news about this issue?

I simplified the repro case a little bit.

Please have a look on this blocking issue

Yours
Ivan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jeff Luther

Post by Jeff Luther » 07 Aug 2012, 21:58

Hey, Ivan, I guess you are not aware but this free support forum is a place we try to get to on an 'as available' basis. That is all we can promise. We cannot and unfortunately do not get to every item every time something is posted. That's why people 'ping' the issue they've reported so it pops back to the top of the forum section stack. And...

guess what? I see it, I am here now and will look at your updated issue.

Did you do any testing to see if you could find a workaround, BTW?

Jeff Luther

Post by Jeff Luther » 07 Aug 2012, 22:15

I see the issue but the test is too complicated to try to decode and find a workaround.

There is one obvious one workaround, though, if in fact it's really page 1's QRP Page Header items you don't want to show:
Add something in the Report Header, even a line with a single space item might be enoough.

RB's algorithm is what to print at the top of the report's page 1 is:
* If nothing in the Report Header, print what's in Page Header (if anything)
* Else Print what's in Report Header (and do not print Page Header for page 1)

Looks like between 5.1 and 5.2 <something> changed because I see same issue with 5.2.

I'll enter in a defect for this. Added as a v6.1 issue: TD-18127

ivanlun

Post by ivanlun » 17 Sep 2012, 08:46

Hello Jeff,

I'm sorry for your inconvenience with the fact that I posted this in two differend threads; now we can continue here and just here, but be aware that this problem persists at least since TD Version 6.0 - or probably also longer, as you stated.

Thank you for adding this defect number; I hope you understood that the problem is most of all a display/render problem, that comes out under this circumstances - the report shows and prints correctly after resizing the preview window!

As you see, the test case is not as complicated; I also posted a simpler one!

I tried your workaround as good as it is possible, but it doesn't change the buggy behavior of the report preview/print.

Thank you for looking on this issue

frevelundfey

Post by frevelundfey » 27 Jan 2014, 12:47

Hi,
we had a similar problem.
But when we called

On SAM_ReportStart
Call SalReportCmd( SalNumberToWindowHandle( wParam ), RPT_CmdSizeFit)

the first page kept visible.

Regards

frevelundfey

Post by frevelundfey » 03 Feb 2014, 15:45

frevelundfey wrote:Hi,
we had a similar problem.
But when we called

On SAM_ReportStart
Call SalReportCmd( SalNumberToWindowHandle( wParam ), RPT_CmdSizeFit)

the first page kept visible.

Regards

But this is only a solution in case of SalReportView().
It doesn't work with SalReportPrint().

I think this is stil an open issue (TD-18127) !
Are there any news from the Gupta team?

Thank you for looking at this issue

Return to “Bug Reports”