Solved TD-21346: Size of pdf

Report bugs and possible workarounds.
moulay

TD-21346: Size of pdf

Post by moulay » 17 Mar 2015, 12:23

hello,
the size of the pdf file went from 30k to 30000K when I migrate from version 6.1 to 6.2. how can i solve to this problem. thank you

Uwe van der Horst
Site Admin
Site Admin
Germany

Re: TD-21346: Size of pdf

Post by Uwe van der Horst » 21 Mar 2015, 21:29

Hi moulay,

Gupta uses PDFTron for building the PDFs. The functionality is part of the PDFNetC.dll. For some time PDFTron is embedding all fonts inside the PDFs. The result is that the PDFs are much bigger now and - for us even worse - are no longer readable in external viewers like Oracle or Winword 2013. I have made a support case via my support contract and Gupta initially had assigned TD-21346 for this issue. But later they decided not to fix:
"We cannot fix file size issue because now all fonts are embedded and there is no option to not embed them. This embedding happens to guarantee that all fonts display correctly on any devices. I generated a PDF file with this repro case and opened with several PDF viewers and all can open it."
As a work-around we are using a PDF-writer (cutepdf) for printing the PDFs generated by "SalReportPrintToFile" into a new PDF. The new PDFs are much smaller and can be viewed in the external viewers. Certainly we are not happy with this situation because we have to buy licences for the PDF-writer and we have to install the writer on every single client computer of our customers. I don't know if it is possible to remove or replace the embedded fonts using a PDF-SDK. SalReportPrintToFileEx has a parameter to embed a font or not but it doesn't seem to have any effect :(

Regards,
Best regards,
Uwe van der Horst
Advo-web GmbH

EWetzel
Germany

Post by EWetzel » 22 Mar 2015, 10:27

Hi,

I have the same Problem, but with 6.2 SP3R the size of the pdf files is much smaller than with 6.2 SP2.

So, which release do you use?

Enrico

Ana Paula Bonani

Post by Ana Paula Bonani » 23 Mar 2015, 16:56

Hi all,

There are two different issues here:

1st issue: there was a problem in 6.2 related to a huge increase on the PDF size which has been fixed since 6.2 SP1. If you install 6.2 SP1 or later, you will notice the improvement and the size should now be acceptable.

2nd issue: TD-21346 - "SalReportPrintToFile and SalReportPrintToFileEx creates files that are much larger and not viewable using tools other than Adobe"
This was closed as-designed because to fix the PDFTron bug which made the PDF size unacceptable as mentioned above, we had to upgrade to a newer version of PDFTron and their engineers recommended embedding fonts in the file by default. The difference in the file size is not huge. With the testcase provided it was 124kb vs 95kb.

So yes moulay, the latest SP3 Refresh should solve your issue.

Thanks,

Return to “Bug Reports”