Looking for DotNet.pdf

Discussion forum about all things Team Developer 5.x and 6.x
Samad Sodul
Mauritius

Looking for DotNet.pdf

Post by Samad Sodul » 09 Mar 2019, 15:25

Hi
I am actually looking for the best practice how I can easily convert my win32 applications to .NET applications.
I am going through "TD Your First .NET-WPF Application" pdf file and it is referring to the Gupta book DotNet.pdf.
I can't see this file in my TD63 book folder.

Is it possible for me to get the DotNet.pdf file through this forum.

Many thanks

Samad

Igor Ivanovic
Site Admin
Site Admin
Croatia

Re: Looking for DotNet.pdf

Post by Igor Ivanovic » 10 Mar 2019, 06:17

I think it's been renamed to "TD .NET Projects.pdf" in TD6.3.
Igor Ivanovic

a_sivababu
India

Post by a_sivababu » 10 Mar 2019, 10:02

This might be the one you are looking on.

there are lot of materials .NET. you can download it from here and read all important information.

https://samples.tdcommunity.net/index.p ... c/DevCons/

As like other conversion application, you face challenges here and there though you convert TD Win32 to .NET. So, review all the materials and understand the GAP before you kick start the application.

Your first .NET WPF TD6 application.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Samad Sodul
Mauritius

Post by Samad Sodul » 10 Mar 2019, 12:54

Thanks a lot.

I migrated several TD2.0 applications developed during the year 1999-2005 to TD6.3 Client/Server WIn32 applications. These applications connect to SQL Server 2012+ databases via ODBC and are working smoothly.

I have now a request from a customer to move his application to the Cloud environment.

Is it possible to transfer same win32 applications to Cloud or I first need to migrate the TD6.3 win32 to TD6.3 .NET WPF ?.

At the moment I am a beginner on the TD.NET WPF and I can't seek help outside this forum as Gupta TD is almost inexistant in Mauritius.

Thanks to this forum that I am still alive on Gupta TD.

Regards

Samad

a_sivababu
India

Post by a_sivababu » 11 Mar 2019, 04:28

Hi Samad,
Few thoughts from my side -

1. I have faced more challenges when I tried to convert to .NET WPF. However, In one stage, I have stopped converting the existing application as I did not find any work around for few of my win32 coding.

2. I have used .NET XBAP for browser based application but I stopped this too since Microsoft is moved to Edge Browser. And, only IE11 supports XBAP application but it is not advisable to support only for IE11.

3. If you are targeting for Cloud then you have to keep only your SQL Server database in your private Cloud or public cloud ( may be in Azure/AWS/G-cloud) and then keep your Win32/64 bit application in user's machine as it is now. But, I am not sure whether your customer is fine for this combination (Database is in Cloud and application is in On-Premise. )

4. you can probably re engineer your coding to TDMobile as you can move your application to completely on Cloud. it supports for Mobile and Desktop based. you can even use DevExtreme controls if TDMobile controls is not meeting your requirements. DevExtreme is not costly and have nice controls.

Happy to support if you need any help on this.

you can read my another thread as well -
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=45767&p=152678&hil ... ar#p152678

Thanks
Siva A

Samad Sodul
Mauritius

Post by Samad Sodul » 11 Mar 2019, 06:01

Hi Siva
I developed a full accounting package on TD2.0 which is used by several customers. Now, with much effort I have been able to migrate all on TD63 win32.

But technology is moving so fast that in 2-5 years Cloud will take a huge market share in Mauritius.
I thought it will be pretty easy to migrate all TD63 win32 to TD63.NET, but now I realize it's very difficult almost impossible for me.

You: If you are targeting for Cloud then you have to keep only your SQL Server database in your private Cloud or public cloud ( may be in Azure/AWS/G-cloud) and then keep your Win32/64 bit application in user's machine as it is now. But, I am not sure whether your customer is fine for this combination (Database is in Cloud and application is in On-Premise. )

Me: Of course customer will not agree. I thought TD 63 applications can also be moved to cloud.

Re-engineer all codes on TD mobiles is a solution. But Is the migration process to convert to TD mobile requires lots of changes in the coding?

Do you have an idea about https://www.hosteddesktopuk.co.uk/cloud ... d-desktop/ ?. What it does really?

I have now a great concern on the TD.NET as the customer is looking for Microsoft Dynamic NAV running fully on cloud...

Thanks

Samad

a_sivababu
India

Post by a_sivababu » 11 Mar 2019, 06:38

As per my understanding, this hosted Desktop in uk is in Cloud but this is a wrapper and you need to ask your customer to connect to this remote desktop and work on win32 applications. This work around may not be accepted by your client. and also, you will end up paying more costs per user to this desktop Cloud.

you can probably convert financial modules one by one using TDMobile and share it with them. For eg, Account payables and then Account Receivables and then General Ledger etc and host this application in cloud along with your database. so few modules in Cloud and few modules in desktop. by this way, you can try to retain your customer.

Samad Sodul
Mauritius

Post by Samad Sodul » 11 Mar 2019, 07:40

Thanks a lot Siva
I will check TD mobile.

Do you have some few converted programs win32-->TD Mobile using SQL Server / ODBC which you can share on this forum.

Thanks a lot for your advice.

Regards

samad

a_sivababu
India

Post by a_sivababu » 11 Mar 2019, 08:48

you can download the TDMobile 2.3 trial version and samples. Island samples are similar to converted application. please run it and let me know if you need anything.

I can share my sample applications which is built in TDMobile but please send your emailID over private message. I will deploy it internet and share the URLs in couple of days.

Thanks
Siva A

Return to “General Discussion”