Going from TD5.2SP3 to TD 7.x

Discussion forum about all things Team Developer 7.x
Charlie
Canada

Going from TD5.2SP3 to TD 7.x

Post by Charlie » 15 Mar 2019, 18:15

G'day,

I'm looking for some insights from those in the know and those with some semi-educated opinions.

I need to quickly migrate a whole bunch of TD 5.2SP3 applications (Oracle 11 back end) to TD7.x, but am not sure which version is the best bet .

GTD 7.0.6 or GTD 7.1.2 ?

Going forward, end-user machines will slowly be moving from Windows 7 to Windows 10 (mixed bag of 32 bit and 64 bit), and we'll soon be thinking about going to Oracle 12.

Thank-you much !
A little trick to help direct folk from old Gupta forum to this one: Link to post

Dave Rabelink
Founder/Site Admin
Founder/Site Admin
Netherlands

Re: Going from TD5.2SP3 to TD 7.x

Post by Dave Rabelink » 15 Mar 2019, 19:11

Having done the migration of (very) large application pools for several companies showed me that TD 7.x versions are quite stable.

I also encountered that even minor upgrades (formerly known as SP's) could result in unexpected issues due to regressions.
But this was always the case on any TD version in the past.

It really depends which features the applications utilize from the TD environment. It is wise to read the list of fixes carefully and monitor bug reports on this forum for instance.

Info from others is very helpful, so I urge everyone here on the forum to post found defects, create a ticket with OpenText support and report the defect numbers back in the forum thread.
This will make all developers aware of issues which may not be found by themselves. And even better, workarounds can be proposed.

Another observation is that OpenText support is quite cooperative and responds to our issues, specially when really blocking issues are reported.
But that is my personal experience.

As for the difference between TD 7.0.x and TD 7.1.x: the migration was in all cases seamless. I could not say which version is "better", stability wise.
The real advantage, at least for us here, is that TD 7.1 brings the long awaited multi-threading, which is a real valuable new feature to improve existing bottle-necked workflows.

So, I would advice to take the latest TD 7.1 release to migrate to.

As for Oracle 12. This version is in use for years now by our applications.
Regards,
Dave Rabelink

Articles and information on Team Developer Tips & Tricks Wiki
Download samples, documents and resources from TD Sample Vault
Videos on TDWiki YouTube Channel

Charlie
Canada

Post by Charlie » 15 Mar 2019, 19:17

Good stuff, thanks Dave !

I was a little nervous about TD 7.1.2 because it is so new (and, from my perspective, 7.1 still generally new).

Sadly, I have this tendency to see anything less than 1.5 years old as being iffy.

Well, I'll be putting on my gear and jumping in and doing a TD 7.1.2 deep dive first thing Monday morn'.

Cheers !
A little trick to help direct folk from old Gupta forum to this one: Link to post

Riuks
Estonia

Post by Riuks » 15 Mar 2019, 20:20

I suggest 7.1.2, i guess there is nothing to afraid compare with 7.0.6- all functionality what is in 7.0.6 acts's exactly the same way in 7.1.2.
And if u read 7.1.2 Release notes there are declared "This version is quality upgrade".

Return to “General Discussion”